The Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (or COGAT) is a unit in the Israeli Ministry of Defense that engages in coordinating civilian issues between the Government of Israel, the Israel Defense Forces, international organizations, diplomats, and the Palestinian Authority.
The unit is composed of the following:
COGAT's headquarters are in the Kirya compound in Tel Aviv. The unit headed by the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories, Brigadier-General Eitan Dangot. Also under the responsibility of the Tel Aviv office is the School for Communication and Coordination, which instructs officers and soldiers in foreign relations, Middle Eastern studies, and spoken Arabic.
- The Civil Administration of Judea and Samaria has its headquarters in Beit El, and is headed by Brigadier-General Moti Elmoz.
- The C.A. has District Coordination Liaison Offices (DCL) in each of the major districts of the West Bank, and one for the Jerusalem periphery area. The offices are in the cities of Jenin, Nablus, Tulkarm, Qalqilyah, Ramallah, Jerusalem Periphery, Bethlehem, Hebron, and Jericho.
- The headquarters has branches for dealing with various issues. Each of these branches is headed by a Lieutenant-Colonel.
- The Foreign Relations and International Organizations, responsible for coordinating activities of international organizations.
- The Economics Branch in charge of coordinating economic and business issues.
- The Spokespersonship and Public Relations Office, in-charge of public communication and other publications.
- The Infrastructure Branch, responsible for coordinating infrastructure-related activities: water, sewage, electricity, communications, construction, and so on, including the building of the Security Barrier.
- Each of the DCLs has officers representing each of the branches in the field and deal with the day to day business the Palestinians have (obtaining entry permits to Israel, etc.)
Ever since the Disengagement, Israeli COGAT activity with regards to the Gaza Strip is carried out by the Coordination and Liaison Administration of the Gaza Strip (headed by a Colonel). The C.L.A is located outside of the Gaza Strip adjacent to the Erez Crossing. The C.L.A is the military unit responsible to coordinate access to and from the Gaza Strip, facilitate activities of the International community and facilitate civilian and humanitarian needs and requirements of the Palestinian population of the Gaza Strip with regard to Israel.
- Increased humanitarian aid to Gaza after IDF operation
- COGAT - Summary of humanitarian aid to Gaza 2009
- "Major General Eitan Dangot, Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories". Israel Defense Forces. 2011. http://dover.idf.il/IDF/English/about/staff/Eitan_Dangot.htm. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|