David Verner Anderson (September 4, 1899 – September 3, 1979) was a Vermont politician who served as Auditor of Accounts.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Anderson was born in Quincy, Massachusetts on September 4, 1899, and his family relocated to Montpelier, Vermont in 1901. He served in the military during World War I as a member of the Student Army Training Corps and Reserve Officers Corps, and later became a member of the American Legion.
In 1927 Anderson was appointed as Vermont's Deputy State Auditor, serving until 1941.
On August 24, 1929 Anderson married Iola Florence Bagley in Montpelier. Mrs. Anderson was born on March 14, 1905 and died on September 19, 1970.
Anderson was the successful Republican nominee for Auditor in 1940. He won reelection every two years until 1962 and served from 1941 until the expiration of his final term in 1965.
In 1966 Anderson was the unsuccessful Republican nominee for Auditor, losing to Gordon.
References[edit | edit source]
- Biography, David V. Anderson, Sigma Phi Epsilon Journal, published by the fraternity, Volume 39, Number 2, November, 1941, pages 60-61
- John T. Cushing, Harold Pearl Sheldon, Vermont in the World War: 1917-1919, 1928, page 596
- Vermont Secretary of State, Vermont Legislative Directory, 1929, page 567
- David Verner Anderson Biography, Norwich University Archives page, David Verner Anderson Papers entry, accessed November 7, 2011
- Vermont Legislative Directory and State Manual, published by Vermont Secretary of State, 1963, page 713
- Sigma Phi Epsilon Journal, published by the fraternity, Volume 16, Number 4, May 1, 1919, page 343
- Vermont Legislative Directory, published by Vermont Secretary of State, 1947, page 594
- Vermont Death Records, 1909-2008, record for Iola B. Anderson
- Vermont Auditors of Accounts, Terms of Service, published by Vermont State Archives and Records Administration, accessed November 7, 2011
- Newspaper editorial, The Triple A Team Ousted, Bennington Banner, November 6, 1964
- Newspaper article, Former Vt. State Auditor, Wife Die in House Fire, by Associated Press, published in Lewiston (Maine), Sun-Journal, December 6, 2007
- Newspaper article, Recount Confirms Election of Both Cooley and Gordon, by United Press International, published in Bennington Banner, December, 1966
- Vermont Death Records, 1909-2008, record for David V. Anderson
- Social Security Death Index, David V. Anderson entry
|Vermont Auditor of Accounts
1941 – 1965
Jay H. Gordon
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|