Bjork, 1935, University of Oregon
June 27, 1914|
Deep River, Washington
August 26, 1988 (aged 74)|
Delbert Leonard "Del" Bjork (June 27, 1914 – August 26, 1988) was a professional American football tackle in the National Football League (NFL). He played two seasons for the Chicago Bears (1937–1938).
Bjork was born in Deep River, Washington and grew up in Astoria, Oregon. He played football for Astoria High School and then for at the University of Oregon from 1934 to 1936. On September 1, 1937, Bjork played with the College All-Stars against the Green Bay Packers at Soldier Field in Chicago. The All-Stars won that game 6–0. After receiving his BS in physical education from the University of Oregon in 1937 he was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the sixth round. In 1940 Bjork earned an MS in education from the University of Oregon. He then went on to have a successful career in the military.
Bjork was awarded the Purple Heart with oak leaf clusters in 1944. As a captain he was recognized with the Distinguished Service Cross for his World War II service. After the war he continued his career in the military earning the rank of colonel and was published in Military Review in 1951.
Bjork was inducted into the Oregon Sports Hall of Fame in 1982.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Del Bjork". http://www.nfl.com/player/delbjork/2509645/profile.
- "Del Bjork - AHS Hall of Fame". https://sites.google.com/a/astoriak12.org/ahs-hall-of-fame/del-bjork.
- "Chicago Tribune - Historical Newspapers". http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1937/08/10/page/17/article/gus-dorais-leads-poll-by-400-000-votes#text.
- United States. Adjutant General. "Official army register for ..". Washington : [s.n.]. https://archive.org/details/officialarmyregi19601unit.
- "Chicago Tribune - Historical Newspapers". http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1944/08/02/page/19/article/in-the-wake-of-the-news.
- "DSC recipients" (PDF). http://valor.defense.gov/Portals/24/Documents/ServiceCross/ArmyDSC-WWII.pdf.
- "Military Review, February 1951. :: Military Review". http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p124201coll1/id/867/rec/3.
- "Football - Oregon Sports Hall of Fame & Museum". http://oregonsportshall.org/?page_id=163.
[edit | edit source]
- Del Bjork at Find a Grave
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|