Dhuluiya offensive was launched on 28 December 2014 by Iraqi forces backed by Sunni tribesmen and Shia militamen on the strategic town of Dhuluiya (Arabic language: الضلوعية), which had been held by ISIS for months. On 30 December, the area was recaptured and the ISIS siege on the Sunni al-Juburi tribe was broken.
It was part of a bigger campaign to fully clear the Saladin Governorate.
Background[edit | edit source]
The town of Dhuluiya (or Dhuluiyah), 50 miles south of Tikrit and 90 kilometres (55 miles) north of Baghdad, is strategically located on roads linking the eastern province of Diyala to Saladin Governorate in the north.
On July 14, 2014, ISIS took control of part of the town. They bombed government buildings, including a court and local council headquarters, and exploded a bridge leading toward the neighboring town of Balad in an effort to prevent the arrival of reinforcements.
The Jubur (or Jabour or Jubouri) tribe, a Sunni tribe in the south of the town, had been resisting ISIS attacks for nearly six months.
In October, Iraqi forces retook most of Dhuluiya, but ISIS later launched a counter-offensive and managed to recapture the ground they had lost.
Offensive[edit | edit source]
On December 26, Iraqi forces attacked ISIS positions on several fronts and captured a string of villages south of Dhuluiya. On December 28, the troops entered from the north backed by the air force, and seized the airport just outside the town. On December 30, Iraqi forces completed the recapture of the town of Dhuluiya
Since December 28, the anti-ISIS forces have been clearing bombs and other explosives placed by the ISIS fighters in various parts of the town.
Retired Brigadier General Abbas Hassan Jabr, who had joined the Badr Organization after the advances of ISIS, was killed on December 29 by a sniper's bullet during fighting ISIS in Dhuluiya. Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi issued a statement hailing Jabr as "one of Iraq's heroes" and vowing that his death would increase "our determination to liberate all Iraq".
On December 31, Haider al-Abadi met with tribal leaders and security forces in al-Dhuluiya district and congratulated them. He said the liberation is "a quantum leap in the war against terrorist gangs and a platform for new victories and does inflict further defeats against ISIS and its collaborators."
References[edit | edit source]
- "Iraqi forces clear Dhuluiyah of ISIS jihadis: commanders". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2014/Dec-30/282657-iraqi-forces-clear-Dhuluiya-of-isis-jihadis-commanders.ashx. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "BBC News - Iraqi forces 'recapture Dhuluiya from Islamic State'". BBC News. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30632134. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "PressTV-Iraq militants seize area near Baghdad". http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/07/14/371236/iraq-militants-seize-area-near-baghdad/. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "Iraqi forces launch offensive on ISIS militants in Dhuluiyah". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2014/Dec-29/282485-iraqi-forces-launch-offensive-on-isis-militants-in-Dhuluiya.ashx. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "Iraq's Badr Organization: Dhuluiya in south of Tikrit liberated from ISIS terrorists". 30 December 2014. http://www.abna.ir/english/service/middle-east-west-asia/archive/2014/12/30/661680/story.html. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "Bader says: The military adviser of Ameri killed by explosion in Dhuluiya". http://english.shafaaq.com/index.php/security/12686-bader-says-the-military-adviser-of-ameri-killed-by-explosion-in-dhuluiya. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "Iraqi forces clear Dhuluiyah of ISIS: commanders". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2014/Dec-31/282727-iraqi-forces-clear-dhuluiyah-of-isis-commanders.ashx. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "PressTV-Iraq PM visits recently freed district". http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2015/01/01/391166/Iraq-PM-visits-recently-freed-district. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "Liberating Dhuluiya is a quantum leap in war against ISIS, says Abadi". Iraq news, the latest Iraq news. http://www.iraqinews.com/features/liberating-duluiya-quantum-leap-war-isis-says-abadi/. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|