|Born||16 November 1889|
|Died||6 August 1944 (aged 54)|
|Place of birth||Stuttgart, Germany|
|Place of death||near Saint-Lô, France|
World War I|
World War II
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Kraiss took command of the 168th Infantry Division in July 1941 and commanded the unit until March 1943. He then commanded 355th Infantry Division until May 1943. In November 1943 he took command of the 352nd Infantry Division which was in 1944, with six other divisions, located in Normandy in front of the Allied invasion. The division had 7,409 soldiers and kept defensive positions around St. Lô. Kraiss died on August 6, 1944 of injuries sustained 2 days earlier.
Awards and decorations
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (18 September 1939) & 1st Class (3 October 1939)
- German Cross in Gold on 28 February 1942 as Generalmajor and commander of the 168. Infanterie-Division
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 23 July 1942 as Generalmajor and commander of 168. Infanterie-Division
- Oak Leaves on 11 August 1944 as Generalleutnant and commander of 352. Infanterie-Division
- Mitcham, p. 97
- Thomas 1997, p. 402.
- Patzwall & Scherzer 2001, p. 250.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000)  (in German). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches]. Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001) (in German). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2]. Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Thomas, Franz (1997) (in German). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K]. Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2299-6.
- Mitcham, Jr., Samuel W. (2007). Retreat to the Reich: The German Defeat in France, 1944. Stackpole Books. ISBN 978-1-461-75155-7.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|