Dora II (Dora 2) is an unfinished German military submarine base and bunker in Trondheim, Norway, next to Dora I. Construction on Dora II (also known by it original German designation of DORA II) was undertaken during the Second World War, but the complex was never finished unlike Dora 1 (DORA I). Trondheim was traditionally referred to as Drontheim in German, and the name DORA is the letter "D" in the German phonetic alphabet.
Following the occupation of Norway in 1940, it was soon realised that the country only had limited facilities for minor naval repairs. More extensive work usually meant a return to Germany. The capitulation of France two months later overshadowed the strategic importance of Norway to some extent, but it was still regarded as a better location for access to the Atlantic and Arctic Oceans than Germany. Nevertheless, better protection for U-boats from aerial attack was required so a bunker-building programme was instigated. German U-boat bases in occupied Norway operated between 1940 and 1945, when the Kriegsmarine (German navy), converted several naval bases in Norway into submarine bases. Trondheim was an important U-boat base in Norway during the war. It was the home of the 13th flotilla and it had 55 U-boats assigned to the flotilla during its service.
Construction of Dora II began in 1942 but was never completed. The second bunker was a little more than half complete by the time the war ended. If finished it would have been 168 feet (51 m) long by 102 feet (31 m) wide, with four pens capable of holding six U-boats. The completed walls are 3 m (9 ft 10 in) thick, and the roof is 3.5 m (11 ft 6 in) thick (only a quarter of the roof was completed).
After World War II
In 1947 and 1948 the port authority conducted cleanup and blasting on Dora II. Part of the walls on the uncompleted sides were blasted away.
- "U-Boat base". Battlefieldsww2.com. http://www.battlefieldsww2.com/Dora_Trondheim.html. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- Jak P Mallmann Showell Hitler's U-boat Bases (2002) Sutton Publishing ISBN 0-7509-2606-6 p. 55
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "13th Flotilla". U-boat bases. Uboat.net. http://www.uboat.net/flotillas/13flo.htm. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "The Bases in Norway-Trondheim". U-boat bases. Uboat.net. http://www.uboat.net/flotillas/bases/trondheim.html. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "U-boat Bunkers". German U-boat. Uboataces.com. http://www.uboataces.com/articles-uboat-bunker.shtml. Retrieved 13 Mar 2016.
- "Dora". Wiki Strinda. http://strindahistorielag.no/wiki/index.php?title=Dora. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Dora II". Wiki Strinda. http://strindahistorielag.no/wiki/index.php?title=Dora_II. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Trondheim Verft AS, Norway". ship2yard.com. http://www.ship2yard.com/yard.php?idy=9826. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|