Design and developmentEdit
The earlier Do 11 had exhibited several problems, so two initiatives were launched to address those shortcomings. The first resulted in the Do 13. The second effort was a more extensive rework which resulted in the Do 23. Several of the handling problems were thus corrected, but performance of the Do 23 was still considered mediocre, and it saw a limited service life, being phased out of front-line service by the late 1930s. It was replaced by aircraft such as the Heinkel He 111, but it did go on to serve and see action in World War II in the Czech branch of the Luftwaffe.
- Do 23F : Initial production version.
- Do 23G : Improved version, fitted with two glycol-cooled BMW VIU piston engines.
Specifications (Do 23 G)Edit
Data from The Encyclopedia of World Aircraft General characteristics
- Crew: 4
- Length: 18.80 m (61 ft 8 in)
- Wingspan: 25.60 m (84 ft)
- Height: 5.40 m (17 ft 8½ in)
- Wing area: 108.0 m² (1,163 ft²)
- Empty weight: 5,600 kg (12,346 lb)
- Max. takeoff weight: 9,200 kg (20,282 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × BMW VIU liquid cooled V-12 engine, 559 kW (750 hp) each
- Maximum speed: 260 km/h (140 kn, 161 mph)
- Range: 1,500 km (810 nmi, 932 mi)
- Service ceiling: 4,200 m (13,779 ft)
- Wing loading: 85.2 kg/m² (17.4 lb/ft²)
- Power/mass: 0.12 kW/kg (0.074 hp/lb)</ul>Armament
- Guns: 3 × 7.92 mm (.312 in) MG 15 machine guns (nose, dorsal and ventral positions)
- Bombs: 1000 kg (2,205 lb) bombs carried internally.
- Dornier Do 11
- Dornier Do 13
- Junkers Ju 52
- Handley Page H.P.54 Harrow
- Dornier P - Dornier Y- Dornier Do 11 - Dornier Do 13 - Dornier Do 23
- List of Interwar military aircraft
- List of World War II military aircraft of Germany
- List of military aircraft of Germany
- List of RLM aircraft designations
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dornier Do 23.|
- ↑ Donald 1997, p.344-345
- Donald, David (editor). The Encyclopedia of World Aircraft. Aerospace Publishing. 1997. ISBN 1-85605-375-X.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|