Academic career[edit | edit source]
From the late 1940s to the late 1990s, Dowd taught at Cornell University, UC Berkeley and other universities. He has authored books that criticize capitalism in general, and US capitalism in particular.
Many of his writings and audio transcripts are available on his website.
Personal life[edit | edit source]
Dowd was the son of a Jewish mother and a Catholic father. The strong dislike for each side of the family for the other side led him during his youth to embrace an antireligious attitude.
Dowd claimed to be "non-religious" without saying if he is an agnostic or atheist.
Electoral candidate[edit | edit source]
Dowd was one of the nominees of the Peace and Freedom Party for Vice President in the 1968 US presidential election. He agreed to be on the ticket in New York in order to prevent the selection of Jerry Rubin. The party's presidential candidate that year was Black Panther Eldridge Cleaver, who finished a distant fifth in the election.
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Step by step (1965)
- Modern Economic Problems in Historical Perspective (1965)
- Thorstein Veblen: A Critical Reappraisal; Lectures and Essays Commemorating the Hundredth Anniversary of Veblen's Birth (1965)
- America's role in the world economy:the challenge to orthodoxy (1966)
- The Twisted Dream: Capitalist Development in the United States Since 1776 (1974) ISBN 978-0-87626-881-0
- Waste of Nations: Dysfunction in the World Economy (1989) ISBN 978-0-8133-0810-4
- U.S. Capitalist Development Since 1776: Of, By, and for Which People? (1993)
- Blues for America: A Critique, a Lament, and Some Memories (1997) ISBN 978-0-85345-982-8
- Against the Conventional Wisdom: A Primer for Current Economics Controversies and Proposals (1997) ISBN 978-0-8133-2796-9
- Capitalism and Its Economics: A Critical History (2000) ISBN 978-0-7453-1643-7
- Understanding Capitalism: Critical Analysis from Karl Marx to Amartya Sen (2002) ISBN 978-0-7453-1782-3
- At the Cliffs Edge: World Problems and U.S. Power (Peninsula Peace and Justice Cener, 2007)
- Inequality and the Global Economic Crisis (2009)
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- "California, Birth Index, 1905-1995". FamilySearch. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VGKK-YB5. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- Wells, Tom. The War Within: America's Battle Over Vietnam. p 264
[edit | edit source]
|Peace and Freedom nominee for
Vice President of the United States
Julius Hobson (People's Party)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|