|Duma Dumisani Mdutyana|
|Born||18 December 1960|
|Died||July 6, 2016(aged 55)|
|Place of birth||Mount Frere, Eastern Cape|
|Service/branch||South African Army|
Lieutenant General Duma Mdutyana (18 December 1960, Mount Frere – 6 July 2016) was a South African Army officer who served as Chief of Joint Operations. He died after falling ill on a trip overseas.
He matriculated from St. Johns College in Umtata and later obtained a Masters Degree in Defence Studies from Madras University, India.
He served in the Umkhonto weSizwe in Angola and after integrating into the SANDF, he served at EP Command, OC Group 6 and at Infantry Directorate before being appointed GOC 43 South African Brigade. He served as GOC Joint Operations HQ, Advisor to FARDC Chief of Defence Staff and Chief Director Operations from 2011.
Awards and decorations
- Merit Medal in Bronze (MMB)
- Medalje vir Troue Diens (Medal for Loyal Service with 30 Year Clasp)
- Good Service Medal, Silver (20 Years)
- "MAJ GEN MDUTYANA HAS BEEN APPOINTED AS ADVISOR TO THE CHIEF OF THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO DEFENCE FORCE". Department of Defence. February 1, 2008. http://www.dcc.mil.za/bulletins/Files/2008/05bulletin2008.pdf. Retrieved February 3, 2016.
- Helfrich, Kim (January 25, 2016). "Change of command at SANDF Joint Operations Division". Defenceweb. http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42088:change-of-command-at-sandf-joint-operations-division&catid=111:sa-defence&Itemid=242. Retrieved February 3, 2016.
- "Head of SANDF joint operations, Duma Mdutyana dies". ENCA. July 6, 2016. https://www.enca.com/south-africa/head-of-sandf-joint-operations-duma-mdutyana-dies. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
|Chief of Joint Operations
2016 – 2016
Not yet appointed
|GOC Joint Operations HQ
2010 – 2011
|GOC 43 SA Bde
2002 – 2005
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|