|Edwin Albert Baker|
January 9, 1893|
Collins Bay, Ontario
|Died||April 7, 1968(aged 75)|
|Known for||Co-founder of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind|
Order of Canada|
Order of the British Empire
Born in Collins Bay, Ontario, he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering from Queen's University in 1914 and later that year enlisted with the Sixth Field Company, Canadian Engineers. In 1915, he was wounded in France, losing his sight in both eyes.
In 1918, he and six others founded the CNIB. He served as first Vice-President from 1918 to 1920 and Managing Director & General Secretary from 1920 until his retirement in 1962.
He married Jessie Robinson. They had three sons and a daughter.
Honours[edit | edit source]
- In 1935, he was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire.
- In 1938, he was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Laws from Queen's University, and in 1945, the same from the University of Toronto.
- Croix de Guerredisambiguation needed
- In 1967, he was made a Companion of the Order of Canada.
Related book[edit | edit source]
- Marjorie Wilkins Campbell (1965). No compromise: the story of Colonel Baker and the CNIB.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Lieutenant-Colonel Edwin A. Baker CC, OBE, MC, Croix de Guerre, BSc, LLD". Canadian National Institute for the Blind. Archived from the original on December 13, 2004. http://web.archive.org/web/20041213085647/http://www.cnib.ca/eng/about/organization/baker.htm. Retrieved February 1, 2005.
- "Lt Col. Edwin Albert Baker". American Printing House for the Blind, Inc. http://www.aph.org/hall_fame/bios/baker.html. Retrieved February 17, 2011.
- "Edwin Albert Baker fonds". http://mikan3.archives.ca/pam/public_mikan/index.php?fuseaction=genitem.displayItem&lang=eng&rec_nbr=101625&rec_nbr_list=101625,3676638,116094,100473,116087. Retrieved 2007-03-05.
- Office of the Governor General of Canada. Order of Canada citation. Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 24 May 2010
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|