|Born||February 3, 1916|
|Died||27 March 1944(aged 28)|
|Place of birth||Ortelsburg|
|Place of death||near Narva, Estonia|
|Years of service||1938–1945|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Ernst Born (3 February 1916 – 27 March 1944) was a highly decorated Feldwebel in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Ernst Born was killed 27 March 1944 near Narva, Estonia and was posthumously awarded the Knight's Cross.
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (23 August 1941)
- 1st Class (20 April 1943)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (29 November 1941)
- in Silver (?)
- Infantry Assault Badge (29 August 1941)
- Eastern Front Medal (17 August 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 21 April 1944 as Feldwebel and platoon leader in 7. / Grenadier-Regiment 2
References[edit | edit source]
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 120.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.