|Eugene M. Tinkham|
|Born||April 19, 1842|
|Died||October 21, 1909(aged 67)|
|Place of birth||Sprague, Connecticut|
|Place of death||New London County, Connecticut|
|Buried at||New Hanover Cemetery Hanover, Connecticut|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Unit||Company H, 148th New York Infantry|
American Civil War|
• Battle of Cold Harbor
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Corporal Eugene M. Tinkham (April 19, 1842 – October 21, 1909) was a soldier from Connecticut who fought in the American Civil War. Tinkham received the United States' highest medal for bravery during combat, the Medal of Honor, for his action during the Battle of Cold Harbor in Petersburg, Virginia on 3 June 1864. He was presented the medal on 5 April 1898.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Tinkham was born April 19, 1842 in Hanover, Connecticut and was enlisted into Company H, 148th New York Infantry from New York.
While fighting in the Battle of Cold Harbor on 3 June 1864, Corporal Tinkham, although wounded, voluntarily crept out between the lines and, while exposed to the severe fire of the enemy's guns at close range, rescued two wounded and helpless comrades. For his actions during this battle, he received the United States military's highest, and at that time only, medal for bravery in combat, the Medal of Honor. The medal was presented to him on 5 April 1898.
Medal of Honor citation[edit | edit source]
Though himself wounded, voluntarily left the rifle pits, crept out between the lines and, exposed to the severe fire of the enemy's guns at close range, brought within the lines 2 wounded and helpless comrades.
See also[edit | edit source]
- List of American Civil War Medal of Honor recipients: T–Z
- List of Medal of Honor recipients for the Battle of Cold Harbor
References[edit | edit source]
- "Medal of Honor recipients". American Civil War (M-Z). United States Army Center of Military History. 27 June 2011. http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/civwarmz.html. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- "Eugene M. Tinkham". Military Times. http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=836. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Eugene M. Tinkham". Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/7836656. Retrieved 29 April 2017.