|A French navy Panther in flight|
|Role||Military utility and armed assault helicopter|
|Manufacturer||Aérospatiale (originally) |
|First flight||29 February 1984|
|Status||Operational In production|
|Developed from||Eurocopter AS365 Dauphin|
The Eurocopter AS565 Panther is the military version of the Eurocopter AS365 Dauphin medium-weight multi-purpose twin-engine helicopter. The Panther is used for a wide range of military roles, including combat assault, fire support, anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, search and rescue, and medical evacuation (MEDEVAC).
- SA 365 FK
- Original designation of SA 365 K.
- SA 365 K
- The first version of the Panther, based on the AS365 N2. Offered with various armaments, including podded Giat M621 20 mm cannon, 2.75 in Forges de Zeebrugge (FZ) rockets (in pods of 19) or 68mm Thales Brandt rockets (in pods of 22).
- AS565 UA
- Utility version of the AS365 N2
- AS565 UB
- Utility version of the AS365 N3, currently in production. This version is powered by two Turbomeca Arriel 2C turboshafts, which are equipped with full authority digital engine control (FADEC). The main missions of this version are transport of 8 to 10 fully equipped troops, casualty evacuation and logistic support.
- AS565 AA
- Attack version of the AS365 N2.
- AS565 AB
- Attack version of the AS365 N3.
- AS565 MA
- Naval search & rescue version of the AS365 N2.
- AS565 MB
- Naval search & rescue version of the AS365 N3, currently in production. The main missions of this version are anti-surface vessel warfare (ASuW), anti-submarine warfare (ASW), search and rescue (SAR), troop transport, logistic support, and casualty evacuation (CASEVAC)/medical evacuation (MEDEVAC). This version is fitted with a quick-securing 'Harpoon' deck securing device that allows it to land on and take off from ships, whatever the relative wind direction. Offered with various armaments, including cabin-mounted 20mm cannon, AS 15 TT anti-shipping missile, Mark 46 torpedo and Whitehead A.244/S torpedo.
- The naval variant of the Eurocopter AS 565MB Panther is in service in the United Arab Emirates, the Icelandic Coast Guard, the armed forces of Saudi Arabia, the Israeli Defence Force, the Mexican Navy, the Chinese Navy and the French Navy. Armed and unarmed versions of the army variant of the helicopter are in service with the Brazilian Army.
- AS565 SA
- ASW version of the AS365 N2.
- AS565 SB
- ASW version of the AS365 N3.
- AS565 CA
- Anti-tank version of the AS365 N2, armed with HOT missiles.
- AS565 N3
- Maritime patrol and surveillance version of the AS365 N3 for the Hellenic Coast Guard
- AS565 SC
- Search and rescue version for Saudi Arabia.
- HM-1 Pantera
- HM-1 Pantera is version based on the AS565 AA and is licence-built by Helibras for the Brazilian Army.
- Panther 800
- Version offered for the US Army's Light Utility Helicopter program as a replacement for the UH-1 Huey, with 2 LHTEC T800 turboshafts. Test flown only.
- Harbin Z-9
- The Harbin Z-9 and its variants are license-built by Harbin Aircraft Manufacturing Corporation for the Chinese People's Liberation Army.
- Aeronavale 
Specifications (AS365 MB Panther)
- Crew: 1 or 2 pilots
- Capacity: 10 troops
- Length: 13.68 m (44 ft 11 in)
- Height: 3.97 m (13 ft 0 in)
- Empty weight: 2,380 kg (5,247 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 4,300 kg (9,480 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × Turboméca Arriel 2C turboshaft, 635 kW (852 hp) each
- Main rotor diameter: 11.94 m (39 ft 2 in)
- Main rotor area: 111.98 m2 (1,205.3 sq ft)
- Maximum speed: 306 km/h (190 mph; 165 kn)
- Service ceiling: 5,865 m (19,242 ft)
- Rate of climb: 8.9 m/s (1,750 ft/min)
- Guns: Giat M621 20 mm (0.787 in) cannon pods.
- Rockets: 68 mm (2.677 in) or 70 mm (2.756 in) unguided rockets.
- Eurocopter AS365 Dauphin
- Eurocopter EC 155
- AgustaWestland AW159
- Bell 412
- Bell UH-1Y Venom
- Harbin Z-9
- Kaman SH-2G Super Seasprite
- Kamov Ka-27
- SH-60 Seahawk
- Westland Lynx
- List of helicopters
- AS 565MB Naval Variant service notes.
- "Eurocopter AS 365 Dauphin and AS 565 Panther (International)" [subscription article]. Jane's Helicopter Markets and Systems. Jane's Information Group, 17 March 2011.
- Vought Panther 800 LUH page
- "Brazilian Army upgrades its AS565K Panther fleet". © 2012 Helihub.com. http://helihub.com/2010/01/07/brazilian-army-upgrades-its-as565k-panther-fleet/. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "France clears Bulgaria of obligations over last three AS565 Panthers". © 2012 Helihub.com. http://helihub.com/2011/06/21/france-clears-bulgaria-of-obligations-over-last-three-as565-panthers/. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "First "Standard 2" Panther delivered to French Navy". © Copyright 2009 - 2012 Helihub. http://helihub.com/2011/06/29/first-standard-2-panther-delivered-to-french-navy/. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- "Aerospatiale- AS565 Panther". ©Copyright 2012 Demand Media, Inc. http://www.airliners.net/photo/Israel---Air/Eurocopter-AS-565MA-Panther/1340347/L/. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- "Israeli Air Force Helicopter, Eurocopter HH-65 Dauphin Used By The Israeli Navy. Coming In To Land On A Missile Boat". ©2003-2012 worldofstock.com. http://www.worldofstock.com/stock-photos/israeli-air-force-helicopter-eurocopter-hh65-dauphin/TRB4238. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- "The Mexican Navy goes south". http://mxsecurity.wordpress.com/2010/04/16/the-mexican-navy-goes-south/. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- "Royal Moroccan Naval fleet". rmaf.cu. http://farmorocco.wordpress.com/rmaf-pictures/navy-pictures/. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- "UAE Aircraft Inventory". arabaviation.com. http://www.arabaviation.com/AirPower/UnitedArabEmirates.aspx. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- "Aerospatiale- AS565 Panther". ©Copyright 2012 Demand Media, Inc. http://www.airliners.net/photo/United-Arab-Emirates/Aerospatiale-AS-565AA-Panther/0731035/L/&sid=201adc7b0c2908fcc9c5657e3187b3c6. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eurocopter Panther.|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|