|Argentine Navy AS555 SN Fennec 2|
|Role||Light multipurpose helicopter|
|Status||Operational In Production|
|Primary users||French Army|
French Air Force
Royal Malaysian Navy
Royal Danish Air Force
|Developed from||Eurocopter AS350 |
The Eurocopter AS550 Fennec and AS555 Fennec 2 are lightweight, multipurpose military helicopters manufactured by Eurocopter Group. Based on the AS350 Ecureuil and AS355 Ecureuil 2 series, they are named after the Fennec Fox. The armed versions of the AS550 and AS555 can be fitted with coaxial weapons, rockets, torpedoes and various other munitions.
Operational history[edit | edit source]
In February 2007, India selected the AS550 C3 Fennec over the Bell 407 helicopter in a deal for 197 helicopters worth 500 million USD. This deal was suspended in June 2007 because of concerns of alleged corruption in the bidding process, and cancelled outright on 6 December 2007. The contract is now being re-competed, and the AS550 C3 is among the helicopters competing for the deal.
On 20 January 2011, Royal Malaysian Navy PASKAL commandos rescued a hijacked Malaysian chemical tanker and its crew from Somali pirates. A Fennec helicopter provide reconnaissance and aerial gunfire to keep the pirate’s mother ship at bay while commandos boarded the tanker.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Single engine
- AS350 L1/L2 Ecureuil - Original military variants of AS350.
- AS550 C2 Fennec - Armed version based on AS350 B2.
- AS550 U2 Fennec - Unarmed version based on AS350 B2.
- AS550 C3 Fennec - Armed version based on AS350 B3.
- Twin engine
- AS355 M/M2 Ecureuil 2 - Original military variants of AS355 F.
- AS555 AF Fennec 2 - Armed version based on AS355 N.
- AS555 AN Fennec 2 - Armed military version, can be fitted with a 20 mm cannon.
- AS555 AR Fennec 2 - Armed with cannon and rockets.
- AS555 MN Fennec 2 - Unarmed naval version.
- AS555 MR Fennec 2 - Naval version.
- AS555 SN Fennec 2 - Armed naval version.
- AS555 SR Fennec 2 - Armed naval version.
- AS555 UN Fennec 2 - Training and uility version.
- AS555 UR Fennec 2 - Utility version.
- AS555 SP Fennec 2 - Naval version of AS355 NP.
Operators[edit | edit source]
Former Operators[edit | edit source]
Specifications (AS550 C3)[edit | edit source]
Data from Jane's All The World's Aircraft 2003–2004
- Crew: 2
- Capacity: 4 passengers
- Length: 10.93 m (35 ft 10 in) (fuselage length), 12.94 m (42 ft 6 in) (overall length, rotors turning)
- Height: 3.34 m (10 ft 11 in)
- Empty weight: 1,220 kg (2,690 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 2,250 kg (4,960 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 540 L (143 US Gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Turbomeca Arriel 2B turboshaft, 632 kW (847 shp) (limited to 500 kW (671 shp for take-off)
- Main rotor diameter: 10.69 m (35 ft 1 in)
- Main rotor area: 89.75 m2 (966.1 sq ft)
- Maximum speed: 246 km/h (153 mph; 133 kn) (max cruise)
- Never exceed speed: 287 km/h (178 mph; 155 kn)
- Range: 648 km (403 mi; 350 nmi)
- Service ceiling: 5,280 m (17,323 ft)
- Rate of climb: 10.30 m/s (2,028 ft/min)
See also[edit | edit source]
- Eurocopter AS350
- Eurocopter AS355
- Eurocopter EC130
- Changhe Z-11
- Bell 206
- MD Helicopters MD 500
- Eurocopter EC 635
- PZL SW-4
References[edit | edit source]
- "Eurocopter wins big Indian Army deal". Kalingatimes.com. Archived from the original on 2007-06-04. http://web.archive.org/web/20070604180613/http://kalingatimes.com/orissa_business/news/20070408_Eurocopter_wins_deal.htm#. Retrieved 2007-04-26.
- India scraps 600 million dollar Eurocopter deal
- "Paskal commandos foil hijack attempt in Gulf of Aden". The Star. 2011-01-22. http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/1/22/nation/7852232&sec=nation. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "World Air Forces 2013". Flightglobal Insight. 2013. http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/media/reports_pdf/emptys/101015/world-air-forces-2013.pdf. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Colombian Navy Eurocopter AS 555 Fennec". jetphotos.net. http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7388145&nseq=3. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Malaysia - Navy Eurocopter AS 555 Fennec". jetphotos.net. http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6055352&nseq=11. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Republic of Singapore Air Force AS 350". http://www.helis.com/database/modelorg/937/. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Singapore Air AS-550A Fennec". Demand media. http://www.airliners.net/photo/Singapore---Air/Aerospatiale-AS-550A-2-Fennec/2047756/L/&sid=0f63dda9677e2a7d2bf17f4c6e663e8a. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- Jackson 2003, pp. 244–255.
- Jackson, Paul. Jane's All The World's Aircraft 2003–2004. Coulsdon, UK:Jane's Information Group, 2003. ISBN 0-7106-2537-5.
[edit | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eurocopter AS 555.|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|