GIAT FR F2
|Place of origin||France|
|Used by||See Users|
|Weight||5.8 kg (12.75 lbs) loaded|
|Barrel length||650 mm|
|Rate of fire||5 rpm|
|Muzzle velocity||820 m/s (2,690.3 ft/s)|
|Effective range||800 m (874.9 yd)|
|Feed system||10-round detachable box magazine|
The FR F2 (French language: Fusil à Répétition modèle F2; English: Bolt-action Rifle, F2 model) is the standard sniper rifle of the French military. It is designed for shooting at point targets at distances up to 800 meters.
The FR-F2 is an upgrade from the earlier FR F1 sniper rifle. It was manufactured by MAS (an abbreviation of Manufacture d'armes de Saint-Étienne - one of several government-owned arms factories in France). MAS now belongs to GIAT Industries, now NEXTER.
The rifle barrel is thermally shielded along a considerable part of the barrel by a polymer shroud. It uses a different bipod-stock configuration from its predecessor, which is built just ahead of the receiver. It uses 7.62×51mm NATO ammunition, and is equipped with a scope, French army standard issue is either an APX L806 or SCROME J8 (Army) or Nightforce NXS (Air force) or Schmidt & Bender 6x42 mil-dot (Navy). The rifle is also issued as part of the FÉLIN infantry combat system outfitted with a Sagem Sword Sniper 3-in-1 optic, which serves as a telescopic sight, thermal weapon sight, and laser rangefinder. The FR F2 utilizes the same bolt design as the older, outdated MAS-36 infantry rifle.
- France: French military.
- Latvia: Latvian Land Force.
- Lithuania: Lithuanian Armed Forces.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to FR F2.|
- Dragunov sniper rifle, the Russian equivalent
- PGM Hecate II, the heavy, long-range modern French sniper rifle.
- Sniper rifle
- ↑ Jones, Richard D. Jane's Infantry Weapons 2009/2010. Jane's Information Group; 35 edition (January 27, 2009). ISBN 978-0-7106-2869-5.
- ↑ http://kariuomene.kam.lt/lt/ginkluote_ir_karine_technika/snaiperiniai_sautuvai/snaiperinis_sautuvas_fr_f-2.html
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|