|Fadrique Álvarez de Toledo y Enríquez|
|2nd Duke of Alba|
|Died||19 October 1531|
|Spouse(s)||Isabel de Zúñiga|
Fadrique Álvarez de Toledo y Enríquez, 2nd Duke of Alba (in full, Spanish language: Don Fadrique Álvarez de Toledo y Enríquez de Quiñones, segundo Duque de Alba de Tormes, segundo marqués de Coria, conde de Salvatierra, señor del estado de Valdecorneja y del estado de Huéscar ) (c. 1460 – 19 October 1531) was a Spanish nobleman, military leader and politician.
He was the son of García Álvarez de Toledo, 1st Duke of Alba, and his wife María Enríquez de Quiñones y Cossines.
Fadrique was very close to the Catholic Monarchs. His father had fought in the War of the Castilian Succession on the side of the future Queen Isabella I of Castille against her niece Juana la Beltraneja, and his mother was related to Juana Enríquez y Fernandez de Cordoba, mother of Ferdinand II of Aragon.
He participated in the conquest of Granada, and already as Duke, he led the Spanish army against the French in Roussillon in 1503. When Ferdinand II as regent of Castilla, decided to invade and conquer the Kingdom of Navarre, supported by a Papal bull, he put the Duke of Alba at the head of his army. Fadrique conquered Navarre in only two weeks time.
As a reward, he was promoted to capitan general of Andalucía and Duke of Huescar in 1513.
He was also a member of the Consejo de Estado under Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor. He accompanied the Emperor to Germany, Flanders and Italy and was made in 1520 a grandee of Spain and a knight in the Order of the Golden Fleece.
He married Isabel de Zúñiga (1470-after 1520), Condesa de Sevilla, in 1480 and had five children. His eldest son García was destined to be his successor, but predeceased his father, passing the title of third Duke of Alba to Fadrique's grandson, the infamous Iron Duke Fernando Álvarez de Toledo y Pimentel.
- 1) Doña Leonor Álvarez de Toledo, married Rodrigo Portocarrero.
- 2) Don Garcia Álvarez de Toledo y Zuniga (?-1512), Marqués de Coria, married Beatriz Pimentel:
- Doña Catalina Álvarez de Toledo y Pimentel, married Diego Enríquez de Velasco, 3rd Conde de Alba de Liste.
- Doña Maria Álvarez de Toledo y Pimentel, married her cousin Enrique Enríquez de Toledo, 4th Conde de Alba de Liste.
- Don Fernando Álvarez de Toledo y Pimentel, 3rd Duke of Alba.
- 3) Don Pedro Álvarez de Toledo y Zúñiga (1484-1553), Viceroy of Naples, married Maria Osorio-Pimentel :
- García Álvarez de Toledo, 4th Marquis of Villafranca), Viceroy of Naples.
- Eleanor of Toledo, married Cosimo I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany.
- 4) Doña Aldonza Leonor Álvarez de Toledo y Zuniga, married Diego Enríquez de Velasco, 3rd Conde de Alba de Liste.
- 5) Juan Álvarez de Toledo (1488–1557), cardinal.
Additional information[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Hobbs, Nicolas (2007). "Grandes de España" (in Spanish). http://grandesp.org.uk/historia/titulos/titintro.htm. Retrieved 15 October 2008.
- Instituto de Salazar y Castro (in Spanish). Elenco de Grandezas y Titulos Nobiliarios Españoles. periodic publication.
Fadrique Álvarez de Toledo, 2nd Duke of AlbaBorn: c. 1460 Died: 1531
Álvarez de Toledo
|Duke of Alba
Álvarez de Toledo
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|