|French ironclad Couronne|
|Laid down:||14 February 1859|
|Launched:||28 March 1861|
|Commissioned:||2 February 1862|
|Out of service:||Hulked, 1910|
|Class & type:||Gloire-class ironclad|
|Length:||80.85 m (265 ft 3 in)|
|Beam:||16.7 m (54 ft 9 in)|
|Draught:||7.8 m (25 ft 7 in)|
Indret boiler, 3,800 hp (2,834 kW)|
1 × 6-bladed 5.8 m (19 ft) propeller
|Speed:||12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph)|
|Armament:||30 × Model 1878 rifled guns|
Belt: 120 mm (4.7 in)|
Superstructures: 120 mm (4.7 in)
Bunker: 100 mm (3.9 in)
Career[edit | edit source]
The Couronne was built as an ironclad of Gloire type, though she was made entirely in iron rather than iron plaques fixed on a wooden hull. When built, she was the only all-iron ship in the French navy.
From 1881 on, she was used as a gunnery school for the Navy and modified : her armour was removed, her bow, rear and rigging were modified, giving her the appeared of a ship of the Napoléon type. For this role, her artillery was replaced by an assortment of guns of various calibres.
In 1908, she was replaced in her role as gunnery school, and converted to a floating barracks, until she was scrapped in 1932.
References[edit | edit source]
- Appletons' annual cyclopaedia and register of important events of the year: 1862. New York: D. Appleton & Company. 1863. p. 614. http://archive.org/stream/1862appletonsan02newyuoft#page/n621/mode/1up.
- "Combat naval à Cherbourg (1864)". wikimanche.fr. 2013. http://www.wikimanche.fr/Combat_naval_%C3%A0_Cherbourg_%281864%29. Retrieved 20 March 2013. (French)
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Roche, Jean-Michel (2005). Dictionnaire des bâtiments de la flotte de guerre française de Colbert à nos jours, 1671 – 1870. Group Retozel-Maury Millau. ISBN 978-2-9525917-0-6. OCLC 165892922.
- de Balincourt, Captain; Vincent-Bréchignac, Captain (1974). "The French Navy of Yesterday: Ironclad Frigates, Pt. II". Akron, OH: F.P.D.S.. pp. 23–25.
- Gardiner, Robert, ed (1979). Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1860–1905. Greenwich: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-8317-0302-4.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|