|Dr. Friedrich Bachmaier|
|Born||30 March 1903|
|Died||12 September 2001(age 19)|
|Place of birth||Eggenfelden|
|Place of death||Passau|
Weimar Republic (to 1921)|
|Years of service||
|Rank||Major der Reserve|
|Commands held||III./Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 100|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Dr. Friedrich Bachmaier (30 March 1903 – 12 September 2001) was a highly decorated Major der Reserve in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Friedrich Bachmaier was captured by American troops in May 1945 and was released in September 1945.
Awards and decorationsEdit
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (9 January 1940)
- 1st Class (24 October 1940)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver (30 April 1942)
- Infantry Assault Badge (20 July 1940)
- German Cross in Gold (20 September 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 9 January 1945 as Hauptmann der Reserve and commander of III./Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 100
- ↑ Fellgiebel 2000, p. 102.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.