|Born||June 21, 1908|
|Died||16 May 1997(aged 88)|
|Place of birth||Forst|
|Place of death||Bonn|
Weimar Republic (to 1933)|
|Years of service||1930–1945|
|Commands held||Gebirgs-Jäger-Regiments 85|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Friedrich Bader (21 June 1908 – 16 May 1997) was a highly decorated Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Friedrich Bader was captured by American troops in 1945.
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
- Anschluss Medal (8 November 1938)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (30 June 1941)
- 1st Class (3 November 1941)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (19 November 1942)
- in Silver (13 February 1944)
- Close Combat Clasp
- in Bronze (27 June 1943
- Eastern Front Medal (1 August 1942)
- Infantry Assault Badge (12 August 1941)
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (17 July 1944)
- German Cross in Gold (9 June 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 5 April 1945 as Major and commander of Hochgebirgs-Jäger-Bataillon 3
References[edit | edit source]
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 103.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.