|Born||2 October 1917|
|Died||22 January 1943(aged 25)|
|Place of birth||Dortmund|
|Place of death||Rostov-on-Don|
|Years of service||1937–1943|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Günter Klappich (22 January 1917 – 22 January 1943) was a highly decorated Hauptmann in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Klappich was killed in 1943 during the Battle of Rostov, and was posthumously awarded Oak Leaves and promoted to Hauptmann.
Awards and decorationsEdit
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (18 May 1940)
- 1st Class (9 September 1940)
- Infantry Assault Badge in Silver (27 June 1940)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (12 September 1940)
- in Silver (15 August 1941)
- Eastern Front Medal (3 August 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) (in German). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches]. Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives]. Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.