|Born||June 8, 1946|
|Awards||NIC Coach of the Year (1997)|
Gary M. Buer (born June 8, 1946) is an American educator and former football coach. He served as the head football coach at Dakota State University in Madison, South Dakota in 1977 to 1978, Southwest State University—now known as Southwest Minnesota State University—in Marshall, Minnesota from 1979 to 1992, and Southern Virginia University in Buena Vista, Virginia from 2003 to 2006, compiling a career college football coaching record of 92–102–5.
Playing career and military service[edit | edit source]
A native of Atwater, Minnesota, Buer graduated from the University of Minnesota Morris, where he played college football as a defensive end. In 1970, Buer enlisted in the United States Army serving in South Vietnam.
Coaching career[edit | edit source]
Early coaching career[edit | edit source]
After being honorably discharged from the Army, Buer worked as the defensive coordinator at St. Cloud State University in St. Cloud, Minnesota, where he earned a master's degree. In 1973, he was an at Dakota State University in Madison, South Dakota. Buer then spent two years as an assistant his alma mater, the University of Minnesota Morris, before returning to Dakota State in March 1976 as head baseball coach and defensive coordinator for the football team. By August 176, Buer has moved on to Brigham Young University (BYU) as a graduate assistant. With four other graduate assistants, he coached junior varsity football team, while earning his doctorate in physical education and athletic administration.
Head coach at Dakota State[edit | edit source]
Buer's first head coaching position was at Dakota State. During his two seasons, the Trojans compiled a record of 18–2 and he was named NAIA District Coach of the Year and conference Coach of the Year in 1977 and 1978.
Minnesota[edit | edit source]
Buer coached at the University of Minnesota from 1993 to 1996 under Jim Wacker.
Marshall Senior High School[edit | edit source]
Sabino High School[edit | edit source]
In 2001, Gary Buer was hired as head football coach at Sabino High School in Tanque Verde, Arizona. Sabino finished 5–5 in 2001 and 853 in 2002. Sabino won the league championship and made a state playoff appearance in 2002. In 2003, Buer left the Sabercats to build a new college football program at a small, private liberal arts college in Buena Vista, VA.
Southern Virginia[edit | edit source]
In 2003, Buer was named the first head football coach at Southern Virginia University in Buena Vista, Virginia. He helped to build the new football program and held that position for four seasons, from 2003 until 2006. His coaching record at Southern Virginia was 4–31.
Independence High School[edit | edit source]
Gary Buer was named head football coach at Independence High School in Glendale, Arizona in 2007. In 2009 the Patriot football team won the Western Sky Region Championship and Buer was voted Region "Coach of The Year" by his coaching peers.
Head coaching record[edit | edit source]
College football[edit | edit source]
|Dakota State Trojans (South Dakota Intercollegiate Conference) (1977–1978)|
|Southwest State Mustangs (Northern / Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference) (1979–1992)|
|Southern Virginia Knights (NAIA independent) (2003–2006)|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
|†Indicates Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance, BCS, or CFP / New Years' Six bowl.|
References[edit | edit source]
- "Gary Buer Named". Rapid City, South Dakota. March 21, 1976. p. 33. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/39666767/rapid_city_journal/.
- "Familiar Faces Guide Jayvees". Provo, Utah. August 21, 1976. p. 6. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/39667018/the_daily_herald/.
- Southwest Minnesota State University. "SMSU Athletics Hall of Honor". SMSU. http://www.smsumustangs.com/hof.aspx?hof=14&path=&kiosk=. Retrieved December 8, 2010.
- DeLassus, David. "Southern Virginia Coaching Records". College Football Data Warehouse. Archived from the original on October 20, 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20121020035447/http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/naia/independents/southern_virginia/coaching_records.php. Retrieved November 8, 2010.
- "Independence Patriots Varsity Head Football Coach". hometeamsonline.com. http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/default.asp?u=IHSPATRIOTS&s=football&p=coachprofile&coachID=8121&t=print. Retrieved December 8, 2010.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|