|Born||August 21, 1907|
|Died||16 May 1980(aged 72)|
|Place of birth||Ellers|
|Place of death||Brakel|
|Years of service||1935–1945|
|Commands held||Grenadier-Regiment 57|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
|Other work||Police officer|
Georg Briel (21 August 1907 – 16 May 1980) was a highly decorated Oberstleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Georg Briel was captured by Allied troops in May 1945 and was released by June 1945.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (22 September 1939)
- 1st Class (30 August 1940)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (3 February 1942)
- West Wall Medal (20 March 1940)
- General Assault Badge (15 January 1942)
- Heeres-Flakabzeichen (27 April 1943)
- Silver Medal of Military Valor (18 February 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (14 February 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 23 July 1942 as Major and commander of Heeres-Flak-Bataillon 606
- Ärmelband Afrika (12 April 1943)
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 123.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.