George Arthur Hastings Forbes, 7th Earl of Granard KP (5 August 1833 – 25 August 1889), styled Viscount Forbes from 1836 to 1837, was an Irish peer and soldier.
Background and education[edit | edit source]
He was the son of Major-General George Forbes, Viscount Forbes, and his wife, the Viscountess Forbes (née Frances Mary Territt); he succeeded his grandfather as Earl of Granard in 1837. He was educated at Eton.
Military career[edit | edit source]
Granard became the lieutenant-colonel commandant of the 9th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade, and was appointed honorary colonel of the Westmeath Militia on 29 May 1878. He was made a Knight of St Patrick in 1857.
A convert to Roman Catholicism, Granard was President of the British Association of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta from 1875 until his death, and was made a Knight Grand Cross of the Papal Order of St. Gregory the Great. He was also a member of the Senate of the Royal University of Ireland.
Family[edit | edit source]
By his first marriage to Jane Colclough Morgan on 2 June 1858, Granard had two daughters:
- Lady Sophia Maria Elizabeth Forbes (died 7 November 1942), married Sir Henry Grattan-Bellew, 3rd Baronet.
- Lady Adelaide Jane Frances Forbes (1860 – 18 November 1942), married Lord Maurice FitzGerald.
By his second marriage to the Honourable Frances Mary Petre, daughter of William Petre, 12th Baron Petre, on 4 September 1873, he had eight children:
- Lady Margaret Mary Theresa Forbes (died 19 May 1965), married Capt. Hon. George Savile, son of John Savile, 4th Earl of Mexborough
- Bernard Arthur William Patrick Hastings Forbes, 8th Earl of Granard (1874–1948)
- Hon. Fergus Reginald George Forbes (20 January 1876 – 18 February 1876)
- Capt. Hon. Reginald George Benedict Forbes (25 June 1877 – 20 May 1908)
- Lady Eva Mary Margaret Forbes (25 June 1877 – 1968)
- Col. Hon. Donald Alexander Forbes (3 September 1880 – 2 August 1938), married Mary Doreen Lawson and had issue
- Lt.-Col. Hon. Bertram Aloysius Forbes (26 May 1882 – 5 August 1960)
- Capt. Hon. Fergus George Arthur Forbes (26 May 1882 – 23 August 1914), killed in World War I
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Granard
Edward King Tenison
|Lord Lieutenant of Leitrim
The Viscount Southwell
|Peerage of Ireland|
|Earl of Granard
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|