|Born||November 8, 1844|
|Died||January 2, 1929(aged 84)|
|Place of birth||Baltimore, Maryland|
|Place of death||Baltimore, Maryland|
|Buried at||Baltimore, Maryland|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Unit||Company A, 3rd Maryland Veteran Infantry|
American Civil War|
• Battle of the Crater
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Sergeant George Schneider (November 8, 1844 – January 2, 1929) was a soldier from Maryland who fought in the American Civil War. Schneider received the United States' highest medal for bravery during combat, the Medal of Honor, for his action during the Battle of the Crater in Petersburg, Virginia on 30 July 1864. He was presented the medal on 27 July 1896.
Schneider was born November 8, 1844 in Baltimore, Maryland and enlisted into Company A, 3rd Maryland Veteran Infantry from Maryland.
While fighting in the Battle of the Crater on 30 July 1864, Sergeant Schneider seized the colors and planted them on the enemy's position during the charge after seeing the color sergeant get shot down by Confederate forces. For his actions during this battle, he received the United States military's highest, and at that time only, medal for bravery in combat, the Medal of Honor. The medal was presented to him on 27 July 1896.
Medal of Honor citationEdit
After the color sergeant had been shot down, seized the colors and planted them on the enemy's works during the charge.
- List of American Civil War Medal of Honor recipients: Q–S
- List of Medal of Honor recipients for the Battle of the Crater
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Medal of Honor recipients". American Civil War (M-Z). United States Army Center of Military History. 27 June 2011. http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/civwarmz.html. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "George Schneider (Medal of Honor)". Military Times. http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=1043. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- ↑ "George Schneider (Medal of Honor)". Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8114947. Retrieved 29 April 2017.