|Born||6 June 1901|
|Died||2 March 1972|
|Place of birth||Dorking, Surrey|
|Place of death||Whangarei, New Zealand|
|Years of service||1917-1954|
10th Submarine Flotilla
|Battles/wars||World War II|
Companion of the Order of the Bath|
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Educated at the Royal Naval College, Osborne and the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, Simpson joined the Royal Navy in 1917. He became commanding officer of the submarine HMS L27 in 1935 and of the submarine HMS Porpoise in August 1938. He became commander of the 10th Submarine Flotilla, based at Malta in January 1941, during the Second World War, in which role his mission was to prevent enemy supplies reaching North Africa. He went on to be Commodore Western Approaches in April 1943.
Simpson became Chief of the New Zealand Navy Staff in 1948, Flag Officer Germany in 1951 and Flag Officer Submarines in 1952. In this role he was dual-hatted as NATO Commander Submarine Force Eastern Atlantic. He retired in 1954. He died at Whangarei in New Zealand on 2 March 1972 and was buried at Maunu Lawn Cemetery in Whangarei.
In 1945 Simpson married Alison Hall; they had two sons and a daughter.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "George Walter Gillow Simpson". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/40861. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "George Walter Gillow Simpson, RN". U Boat.net. http://uboat.net/allies/commanders/2276.html. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Senior Royal Navy Appointments". http://www.gulabin.com/armynavy/pdf/Senior%20Royal%20Navy%20Appointments%201900-.pdf. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- ↑ "Periodic Report by Supreme Allied Commander Atlantic". NATO Archives. http://archives.nato.int/periodic-report-by-supreme-allied-commander-atlantic-no-4-14-october-1952-09-april-1953;isad. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- ↑ "George Walter Gillow Simpson". Find a grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=144858280. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- Simpson, George (2010). Periscope View. Seaforth Publishing. ISBN 978-1848320543.
|Flag Officer Submarines|
| Succeeded by|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|