|Born||September 7, 1912|
|Died||17 July 1943(aged 30)|
|Place of birth||Sorau|
|Place of death||Kharkov, Russia|
|Years of service||1934–1943|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Gerhard Brehme (7 September 1912 – 17 July 1943) was a highly decorated Oberfeldwebel in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognize extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Brehme was mortally wounded during the Battle of Kursk and died in a hospital in Kharkov after years of service on the eastern theater of the war. He was posthumously awarded the Knight's Cross on 23 August 1943.
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (6 September 1940)
- 1st Class (6 August 1941)
- Panzer Badge
- Eastern Front Medal
- German Cross in Gold (12 August 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 23 August 1943 as Oberfeldwebel and platoon leader in the 1. / Panzer-Abteilung 52
References[edit | edit source]
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 122.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) (in German). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches]. Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives]. Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.