|German Armed Forces Deployment Medal|
Einsatzmedaille der Bundeswehr
Obverse of the Deployment Medal
|Awarded by the Federal Republic of Germany|
|Eligibility||Soldiers of the German armed forces|
|Awarded for||Military Campaigns|
|Description||Comes in three classes, Gold, Silver and Bronze|
|Established||25 April 1996|
|Related||Gefechtsmedaille der Bundeswehr|
The German Armed Forces Deployment Medal (German language: Einsatzmedaille der Bundeswehr) is a decoration of the Bundeswehr, the armed forces of the Federal Republic of Germany.
The decoration is awarded for military service in a designated military campaign. It is awarded to all German soldiers regardless of rank. It is also the only type of German campaign medal awarded, the only difference is the campaign bar worn on the medal and ribbon.
The decoration has three grades. The grade is awarded without consideration of rank but by the time a served in the designated campaign area:
- Bronze for 30 days in country.
- Silver is for 360 days in country.
- Gold for 690 days in country.
Design[edit | edit source]
The medal is round, on its center is displayed the German eagle surrounded by a wreath of oak leaves, the reverse side is plain. The combat version differs slightly from standard grades in that the medal is always golden with a black and red rim and a black eagle.
The ribbon has two black stripes on the edges with two red stripes beside it and two golden stripes on the in side with another bold red stripe in the middle, the ribbon bar has the campaign bar attached to it.
Campaign Bars[edit | edit source]
The medal is issued with a clasp denoting foreign the operation recognized by the medal. Like the medal the clasp is either, bronze, silver or gold:
- ACEH - humanitarian assistance in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake for the period from 3 January to 18 March 2005.
- ACT.ENDEAVOUR - awarded for Operation Active Endeavour, monitoring and maritime surveillance in the fight against terrorism for the period from 26 October 2001 to the present.
- AFOR - The AFOR humanitarian assistance in Albania during the period from 13 April to 8 August 1999.
- ALLIED FORCE - Air operations against the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in 1999 during a period from 24 March to 10 June 1999.
- ALLIED HARMONY - awarded for the NATO peacekeeping-mission in the Republic of Macedonia, Operation Fox from 15 December 2002 to 31 March 2003.
- ALLIED HARVEST - Ammunition salvage in emergency jettison areas in the Adriatic Sea from 12 June to 24 August 1999.
- ATALANTA EU - service in operations to combat piracy in Somalia for the period from 19 December 2008 to the present.
- EAGLE ASSIST - awarded for Operation Eagle Assist from 12 October 2001 to 16 May 2002.
- ENDURING FREEDOM - fight against international terrorism in the period from 16 November 2001 to 28 June 2010.
- EU 1 - awarded for the European Union (EU) led mission in Macedonia following Operation Fox in the period from 31 March to 12 December 2003.
- EUFOR RD CONGO Safeguarding of the electoral process in the Democratic Republic of the Congo during the period from 12 June to 23 December 2006.
- EUFOR Multinational security force in Bosnia and Herzegovina for the period of 2 December 2004 to present.
- EUTM SOMALIA EU training mission for Somali military in Uganda for the period of 15 February 2010 to the present.
- FOX - NATO mission to protect the international observers from the OSCE and the EU in Macedonia in the period from 27 September 2001 to 15 December 2002.
- IFOR - Implementation Force in Bosnia and Herzegovina during the period of 20 December 1995 to 20 December 1996.
- INTERFET - awarded for service in with the International Force East Timor in East-Timor from 17 November 1999 to 23 February 2000.
- ISAF - awarded for service with the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan for the period from 22 December 2001 to the present.
- KFOR - awarded for service with the NATO led Kosovo Force from 12 June 1999 to the present.
- KVM - awarded for service with the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) Kosovo Verification Mission from 4 December 1998 to 8 June 1999.
- OSZE 1 - awarded for service with the OSCE observer mission in Georgia during the period of 28 August 2008 to 30 June 2009.
- RAPID REACTION FORCE - service with the "Rapid Reaction Force" as part of UNPROFOR in Bosnia and Herzegovina during the period of 8 August 1995 to 20 December 1995.
- SFOR - Service in the Stabilisation Force in Bosnia and Herzegovina during the period from 20 December 1996 to 2 December 2004.
- SHARP GUARD - awarded for Operation Sharp Guard, surveillance in the Adriatic Sea during the period from 30 June 1995 to 19 June 1996.
- SWIFT RELIEF - humanitarian assistance in Pakistan after the 2005 Kashmir earthquake from 10 October 2005 to 15 April 2006.
- UNAMA - United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan during the period of 10 May 2004 to the present.
- UNAMID - African Union – United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur in Darfur, Sudan during the period of 15 November 2007 to the present.
- UNHCR - United Nations High Commission for Refugees - Sarajevo airlift during the period from 30 June 1995 to 9 January 1996.
- UNIFIL - United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon in the period from 20 September 2006 to the present.
- UNMAC - United Nations Mine Action Center as part of the United Nations Observer Mission in Bosnia and Herzegovina during the period from October 1997 to 30 June 1999.
- UNMEE - United Nations Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea for the period 2 February 2004 to 31 July 2008.
- UNMIK - United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo in the period from 6 December 1999 to 21 December 2001.
- UNMIS - United Nations Mission in Sudan in the period from 22 April 2005 to the present.
- UNOMIG - United Nations Observer Mission in Georgia in the period from 30 June 1995 to 15 June 2009.
- UNPF - United Nations Protection Force in the former Yugoslavia during the period from August 1995 to 20 December 1995.
- UNSCOM - United Nations Special Commission in Iraq during the period from June 1991 to September 1996.
- UNMISS - United Nations Mission in the Republic of South Sudan during the period 8 July 2011 to the present.
- WEU - Western European Union mission in the Adriatic Sea during the period 10 May 1999 to 10 April 2001.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Ehrenzeichen und Einsatzmedaillen" (in German). Bundeswehr. 30 November 2010. http://www.bundeswehr.de/portal/a/bwde/de/streitkraefte/auszeichnungen?yw_contentURL=/C1256EF4002AED30/W27CGKEA378INFODE/content.jsp#none.
- Bundesministerium der Verteidigung (June 2012). "Ehrenzeichen und Einsatzemedaillen der Bundeswehr". pp. 16–41. http://www.bundeswehr.de/resource/resource/MzEzNTM4MmUzMzMyMmUzMTM1MzMyZTM2MzIzMDMwMzAzMDMwMzAzMDY4MzU3NzZhNjU3MjM2NjEyMDIwMjAyMDIw/Ehrenzeichen%20und%20Einsatzmedaillen.pdf. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|