|Born||17 November 1931|
|Died||18 July 2005(aged 73)|
|Place of birth||Cape Town, South Africa|
|Place of death||Cape Town, South Africa|
|Service/branch||South African Navy|
|Years of service||1960-1989|
Chief of the South African Navy|
SAS Jan van Riebeeck
Order of the Star of South Africa SSAS|
Southern Cross Decoration SD
South African Police Star for Outstanding Service SOE
Southern Cross Medal SM
Military Merit Medal
Early career[edit | edit source]
His seagoing career began in the British merchant service in 1950 as a cadet, and his first command came 10 years later in South Africa's Department of Sea Fisheries when he was appointed master of the fisheries survey vessel, Sardinops.
In 1959 he managed to fit in a course of studies at the University of Southampton before transferring from the merchant service to the SA Navy in 1960 as a junior officer.
[edit | edit source]
- Joined S.A.Navy as Lieutenant in 1960.
- 1960 - 1963 Navigation Officer SAS Walvis Bay and SAS Good Hope.
- 1963 - 1964 Long ND course, HMS Dryad.
- 1964 - 1966 Squadron Navigation Officer off 10 FS in SAS President Steyn.
- 1966 - 1969 Officer in Charge SAN Radar School in Durban.
- 1969 - 1972 Project Officer. Promoted to Commander.
- 1972 - 1974 OC SAS Jan van Riebeeck - formerly the Royal Navy destroyer HMS Wessex. Promoted to Commander
When the SA Navy's Strike Craft flotilla was formed in 1977 in a significant milestone for the navy, Syndercombe became its first commanding officer with the rank of captain.
- 1975 - 1977 Project Officer, strike craft.
- 1977 - 1980 Strike craft Flotilla Commander, promoted Captain.
- 1980 - 1982 Director Naval Operations. Promoted to Commodore
- 1982 - 1985 - Chief of Naval Staff Operations and Promoted to Rear Admiral
- 1985 - 31 March 1989 Promoted to Vice Admiral and appointed Chief of the S.A. Navy.
Honours and Awards[edit | edit source]
Vice Admiral Syndercombe was awarded the Order of the Star of South Africa in April 1989
- Order of the Star of South Africa
- Southern Cross Decoration
- South African Police Star for Outstanding Service
- Southern Cross Medal SM
- Military Merit Medal
- Great Star of Military Merit (Chile - 1988)
- Star of Military Merit (Chile - 1980)
- Pro Patria Medal (1986)
- Order of the Resplendent Banner with Grand Cordon (Taiwan 1987)
References[edit | edit source]
- Hayes, S.V (ed) (1992). Who's Who of Southern Africa. Who's Who of Southern Africa C.C. pp. 465. ISBN 0-620-15974-X.
- Fact file: Chiefs of the South African Navy | DefenceWeb
See also[edit | edit source]
|Chief of the South African Navy
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|