Flag of the Guard Jaeger Regiment
Guard Battalion - Urban Warfare/Public Duties|
Uusimaa Jaeger Battalion - Urban Warfare
|Part of||Southern Finland Military Province|
|Colonel Pekka Saariaho|
|Commander-in-Chief||President of Finland|
The Guard Jaeger Regiment (Finnish language: Kaartin Jääkärirykmentti , Swedish language: Gardesjägarregementet ) is a Finnish Army unit located in Santahamina, an island district of Helsinki. The regiment trains Guard jaegers for fighting in an urban environment. The primary function of wartime units formed from the reservists trained by the regiment would be the defence of the capital Helsinki.
Organisation[edit | edit source]
The regiment consists of
- Guard Battalion (Kaartin pataljoona)
- 2nd Jaeger company (2. jääkärikomppania)
- Military Police company (Sotilaspoliisikomppania)
- Transportation company (Kuljetuskomppania)
- Uusimaa Jaeger Battalion (Uudenmaan Jääkäripataljoona)
- 1st Jaeger company (1. jääkärikomppania)
- Non-commissioned officer school (Aliupseerikoulu)
- Support weapons company (Tukikomppania)
- Guards Band (Kaartin Soittokunta)
- Logistics Center (Huoltokeskus)
The primary function of the regiment is to train all wartime units from the conscripts serving in the regiment, specializing in the production of FIBUA-trained units. In addition, the regiment is the ceremonial unit of the Finnish Defence Forces, responsible for the Guard of Honour of the President of Finland. The Guards Band is similarly the representative band of the Defence Forces. As the largest unit located in the Garrison of Helsinki, the regiment is responsible for almost all the supplies of the troops and headquarters located in the capital region.
The conscripts of the regiment arrive mostly from the capital region and surrounding region of Uusimaa. In addition, the regiment is one of the most usual placements for the expatriate Finns and recently naturalized immigrants. The conscripts serving in special duties at the Defence Staff are also formally part of the regiment.
History[edit | edit source]
The Guard Jaeger Regiment are the traditions of historical units that include the 3rd Finnish Sharpshooter battalion (Tarkka-ampujapataljoona), which had from the year 1830 Young Guard and from the year 1878 onwards Old Guard status in the Imperial Russian Army, the Jaegers of the Finnish Civil War and the 2nd Jaeger Battalion from the Second World War.
Homepage[edit | edit source]
- Guard Jaeger Regiment's official homepage (Finnish)
- Recruit's Guide to Guard Jaeger Regiment (English)
References[edit | edit source]
- Varusmiehiä kouluttavat joukko-osastot 2008. Reserviläinen 1/2008, p.38. ISSN 0557-8477 (Finnish)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|