|Gunnar af Klintberg|
|Birth name||Carl Gunnar Ferdinand af Klintberg|
|Born||4 December 1902|
|Died||9 October 1983(aged 80)|
|Place of birth||Skövde, Sweden|
|Years of service||1924–1963|
Svealand Artillery Regiment|
Royal Swedish Army Staff College
Carl Gunnar Ferdinand af Klintberg (4 December 1902 – 9 October 1983) was a Swedish Army major general.
af Klintberg was born in Skövde, Sweden and was the son of captain Carl af Klintberg and Märta (née Westerberg). He passed studentexamen on 11 May 1921 and became fänrik in the Svealand Artillery Regiment's (A 1) reserve on 31 December 1923. af Klintberg became an officer when he passed his exam on 18 December 1924 and was then fänrik at Svealand Artillery Regiment on 13 February 1925 and second lieutenant there on 31 December 1925. He passed the general course of the Artillery and Engineering College in 1928 and became lieutenant at the regiment on 18 July 1928.
af Klintberg was educated at the Royal Swedish Army Staff College from 1930 to 1932. He became captain of the General Staff in 1936 and served at Svealand Artillery Regiment in 1941. He became major of the General Staff in 1942 and was chief of staff of the IV. Military Commanding Staff from 1942 to 1946. He was promoted to lieutenant colonel in 1945 and served again at Svealand Artillery Regiment in 1946. af Klintberg was promoted to colonel in 1949 and was head of the Recruiting and Replacement Office (Centrala värnpliktsbyrån) from 1949 to 1953. He served as commanding officer of Svealand Artillery Regiment from 1953 to 1955 and the Royal Swedish Army Staff College from 1955 to 1959 and was signal inspector from 1959 to 1962. af Klintberg was promoted to major general in 1962 and was Deputy Force Commander of the United Nations Operation in the Congo (ONUC) from 1962 to 1963.
In 1935 he married his relative Gertrud af Klintberg (1913–2008), the daughter of lawyer Bengt af Klintberg and Greta von Unge. af Klintberg was the father of Ulf (born 1935), Louise (born 1938), Carl (born 1940), Mats (1942–2014), Ingrid (born 1944), Tord (born 1951) and Pål (1957–1966). He died on 9 October 1983 and was buried on 15 June 1984 at the Old cemetery in Grödinge, Botkyrka Municipality.
Awards and decorationsEdit
af Klintberg's awards:
- Minnestecken med anledning av Konung Gustaf V:s 90-årsdag
- Commander First Class of the Order of the Sword
- Knight of the Order of the Polar Star
- Knight of the Order of Vasa
- Commander of the Order of St. Olav
- ↑ "Carl Gunnar Ferdinand" (in Swedish). Adelsvapen. https://www.adelsvapen.com/genealogi/Af_Klintberg_nr_2285#TAB_4A.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Lagerström, Sten, ed (1968) (in Swedish). Vem är det: svensk biografisk handbok. 1969. Stockholm: Norstedt. p. 508. http://runeberg.org/vemardet/1969/0524.html.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harnesk, Paul, ed (1962) (in Swedish). Vem är vem? 1, Stor-Stockholm (2nd ed.). Stockholm: Vem är vem. p. 704. http://runeberg.org/vemarvem/sthlm62/0728.html.
- ↑ "Gunnar Af Klintberg" (in Swedish). Gravar.se. http://gravar.se/Gr%C3%B6dinge%20F%C3%B6rsamling/827/Gunnar%20Af+Klintberg.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|