|Born||27 September 1910|
|Died||12 April 1992(aged 81)|
|Place of birth||Hamburg|
|Place of death||Krailling|
|Years of service||1931 – 1945|
U-596 13 November 1941–27 July 1943|
29th U-boat Flotilla
Iron Cross 1st Class|
U-boat War Badge
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
Gunter Jahn (27 September 1910 – 12 April 1992) was German U-boat commander during World War II. He was born in Hamburg, Germany and began his naval career in April 1931 as a Seekadett. He first served on the light cruiser Nürnberg for more than two years, including nine patrols in the first year of the war.
In March 1941 Jahn joined the U-boat force and his first patrol were on board U-98 in September 1941. Later in November he commissioned U-596. On his second patrol he broke through the Strait of Gibraltar and went on to become one of the most successful U-boat commanders in the Mediterranean Sea. In July 1943 he left the boat and became the commander of the 29th U-boat Flotilla. In September 1944 he fell into French captivity, where he spent nearly two years.
Summary of career[edit | edit source]
Awards[edit | edit source]
- Wehrmacht Long Service Award 4th Class (2 October 1936)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Medaille zur Erinnerung an die Heimkerhr des Memllandes (20 December 1939)
- U-boat War Badge (1939) (6 October 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 30 April 1943 as Kapitänleutnant and commander of U-596
Ships attacked[edit | edit source]
|16 August 1942||Suecia||Sweden||SC-95||4,966||Sunk|
|20 September 1942||Empire Hartebeeste||United Kingdom||SC-100||5,676||Sunk|
|7 February 1943||HMS LCI (L) 162||United Kingdom||246||Sunk|
|9 March 1943||Empire Standard||United Kingdom||KMS-10||7,047||Damaged|
|30 March 1943||Fort Norman||United Kingdom||KMS-10||7,133||Damaged|
|30 March 1943||Fort a la Corne||United Kingdom||ET-16||7,133||Sunk|
|30 March 1943||Hallanger||Norway||ET-16||9,551||Sunk|
References[edit | edit source]
- Busch and Röll 2003, p. 349.
- Busch and Röll 2003, p. 350.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 416.
- Busch, Rainer & Röll, Hans-Joachim (2003). Der U-Boot-Krieg 1939-1945 - Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 (in German). Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn Germany: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn. ISBN 3-8132-0515-0.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945 (in German). Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
[edit | edit source]
Korvettenkapitän Fritz Frauenheim
|Commander of the 29th U-boat Flotilla
August 1943 – September 1944
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|