|Guy I. Severin|
75th birthday in 2001
|Native name||Гай Ильич Северин|
July 24, 1926|
Chudovo, Leningrad Oblast (currently in Novgorod Oblast), USSR
February 7, 2008 (aged 81)|
Tomilino, Moscow Oblast, Russia
|Monuments||in Tomilino, Russia|
Soviet Union →|
|Alma mater||Moscow Aviation Institute (1949)|
|Known for||scientist, engineer, inventor and producer of a number of aerospace life-rescue systems and space-suits|
|Spouse(s)||Tatiana V. Severina (Alekseeva) (married 1951)|
|Children||Son and daughter|
Guy Ilyich Severin (Russian: Гай Ильи́ч Севери́н, Gay Ilyich Severin; July 24, 1926 – February 7, 2008) — scientist, engineer, academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, doctor of technical science, professor, full member of the International Academy of Astronautics, inventor and producer of a number of aerospace life-rescue systems and space-suits.
In 1949, he graduated from Moscow Aviation Institute (МАI). From 1947, Severin worked in Flight Research Institute in Zhukovsky, where he was occupied with research and flight test of the aircraft crew rescue and in-flight refuelling systems. A collective of engineers led by Severin worked out some major principles and working prototypes of landing systems and rocket emergency escape slides for Vostok spacecraft.
Under his direction, the company developed space-suits, life support systems and rocket emergency escape slides for all USSR/Russia spacecraft and orbiting space stations, starting from Vostok 1, including the special inflatable airlock of the Voskhod 2, an open space manoeuvring unit, etc.
He was married and had two children. Two times wins USSR mountain skiing championship. Died at a hospital after breaking both legs while skiing on a mountain ski lodge imitation near Moscow on February 7, 2008. The civil funeral was held at the House of Culture Zvezdniy in Tomilino on February 11, 2008. Present among the attendees was Boris Chertok, last remaining colleague of Sergei Korolev.
- Lenin Prize (1965)
- two Orders of Lenin (1966 and 1971)
- Order of October Revolution (1971)
- USSR State Prize (1978)
- Hero of Socialist Labor title (1982)
- ↑ Зелин, Александр, ed (2009) (in RU). Авиация России : биографическая энциклопедия : 1909-2009. Москва: Столичная энциклопедия. pp. 880. ISBN 978-5-903989-03-4. https://books.google.ru/books/about/%D0%90%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F_%D0%A0%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%B8.html?id=yqVeewAACAAJ&redir_esc=y.
- ↑ (Russian) Конструктор Северин увековечен в бронзе, Vesti.ru, 24.07.2008
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Severin, Guy Ilich at online dictionary vseslova.ru (Russian)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Severin, Guy Ilich at the Russian Academy of Sciences website (Russian)
- (Russian) Space-suits of Russia by I.P.Abramov, M.N.Doodnik, V.I. Svershek, G.I.Severin, A.I.Skoog and A.Yu. Stoklitskiy, JSC NPP Zvezda, Moscow 2005, ISBN 5-7368-0285-6
- (English) Russian Spacesuits (Springer Praxis Books / Space Exploration) by Isaac Abramov, Ingemar Skoog, Mikhail N. Doodnik, Anatoly Yu. Stoklitsky, Vitaly I. Svertshek and Guy I. Severin (Paperback, 366 pages - Aug 27, 2003), ISBN 1-85233-732-X
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|