|Role||Light utility helicopter|
|Designer||Shahed Aviation Industries Research Center|
|First flight||2002 or 2005|
|Number built||7 visually confirmed |
|Developed from||Bell 206 & Panha Shabaviz 2061|
The HESA Shahed 278 (Persian: شاهد ۲۷۸) is a light utility helicopter developed in Iran.
Iran's Shahed Aviation Industries Research Center plans to produce several variants of Shahed, the sources said. The first platform was the Shahed-278 (Oh-78), described as a light reconnaissance helicopter and armed with weapons and sensors. Test flights of the Shahed-278 (Oh-78) began in 2005.
Design[edit | edit source]
The composite Shahed-278 is a relatively light helicopter with 682 kg of empty weight. It is a four-seater; intended for dual military/civil use, though designed primarily to meet military requirements. Designed entirely in Iran, according to manufacturer, although some sources report use of locally made airframe and dynamic components of Bell 206 JetRanger. Although designed by the IRGC, this helicopter is scheduled to be produced by HESA.
Shahed-278 has a 4 hours flight endurance and newer models can be equipped with MFD displays. The newer models are 11.82m long, 1.92m wide and 2.98m high. Body weight is increased to 750 kg. Maximum take-of weight is 1450 kg, and the maximum engine power is 420 hp. The OH-78 variation of Shahed-278 is armed with 70mm rockets with a range of 0.5–5 km. A 12.7 mm gun is installed under the nose. Helicopter is equipped with a night and day vision system and a data recording system can optionally be added. The OH-78 body is reinforced and the body shape is a bit different from the other versions.
Specifications[edit | edit source]
- Crew: 1
- Capacity: 3 passengers
- Empty weight: 682 kg (1,504 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 1,451 kg (3,199 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 287 l (63 imp gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rolls-Royce 250 turboshaft
- Maximum speed: 240 km/h (149 mph; 130 kn)
- Range: 340 km (211 mi; 184 nmi)
- Service ceiling: 6,400 m (20,997 ft)
- Hover ceiling in ground effect: 6,200 m (20,341 ft)
- Hover ceiling out of ground effect: 4,800 m (15,748 ft)
See also[edit | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HESA.|
- Bell 206
- Panha Shabaviz 2061
- Iran Aviation Industries Organization
- Military of Iran
- List of Iranian Air Force aircraft
- Current Equipment of the Iranian Army
- Aviation Industries of Iran AVA-202
- Blue Bird
References[edit | edit source]
- "Details of Iranian Shahed-278 helicopter". MehrNews. Tehran. 2012-12-28. http://www.mehrnews.com/en/newsdetail.aspx?NewsID=1777965. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
|group2 = Other |list2 =
|below = Category }}
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|