|HNLMS Drenthe (D816)|
Ausländische Kriegsschiffe an der Tirpitzmole zur Kieler Woche 1975 (Kiel 66.236).jpg|
Drenthe at the Kieler Woche 1975
|Laid down:||9 January 1954|
|Launched:||26 March 1955|
|Commissioned:||1 August 1957|
|Decommissioned:||24 November 1980|
|Fate:||Sold to the Peruvian Navy|
|Displacement:||2497 standard, 3070 tons full load|
|Length:||116 m (381 ft)|
|Beam:||11.7 m (38 ft)|
|Draught:||5.2 m (17 ft)|
|Propulsion:||2 shaft geared turbines, 4 BW boilers, Super-heated steam @ 620psi, 60,000 hp|
|Speed:||36 kn (67 km/h; 41 mph)|
|Range:||4,000 nmi (7,400 km; 4,600 mi) at 18 kn (33 km/h; 21 mph)|
|Sensors and |
|Radar LW-02, DA-01, ZW-01, M45, Sonar Type PAE 1N, Type CWE 10|
HNLMS Drenthe (D816) (Dutch language: Hr.Ms. Drenthe ) was a destroyer of the Friesland class. The ship was in service with the Royal Netherlands Navy from 1956 to 1980. The destroyer was named after the Dutch province of Drenthe and was the fourth ship with this name. In 1980 the ship was taken out of service and sold to Peru where it was renamed Guise. The ship's radio call sign was "PALZ".
Dutch service history[edit | edit source]
HNLMS Drenthe was one of eight Friesland-class destroyers and was built at the NDSM in Amsterdam. The keel laying took place on 9 January 1954 and the launching on 26 March 1955. The ship was put into service on 1 August 1957.
A fire broke out in the engine room on 12 November 1980 during the last journey the ship made. Two crewman died during the fire and four were injured. The fire was caused by an attempt to burn paper in the engine room. That day Drenthe was in the Caribbean to relieve Rotterdam as station ship. The ship was however so damaged by the fire that the Rotterdam had to tow her to the harbor.
Peruvian service history[edit | edit source]
The ship was put into service on 3 June 1981 where the ship was renamed Guise and decommissioned in 1991.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- "Drenthe (D816)". www.navyinside.nl. http://www.navyinside.nl/frontpage/drenthe_d816. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "helis.com". https://www.helis.com/database/unit/531-HrMs-Drenthe/. Retrieved 17 August 2018.
- "scheepvaartmuseum.nl :: Maritieme kalender 1979". http://www.hetscheepvaartmuseum.nl/knowledgebase/calendar%7C1979. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "marineschepen.nl". https://marineschepen.nl/schepen/onderzeebootjagers-friesland.html. Retrieved 17 August 2018.
- "onzevloot.weebly.com". www.onzevloot.weebly.com. http://onzevloot.weebly.com/hrms-drenthe-d-816.html. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|