|HNLMS Holland (P840)|
HNLMS Holland (Min. of Defence)
|Laid down:||8 December 2008|
|Launched:||2 February 2010|
|Commissioned:||6 July 2012|
|Class & type:||Holland-class offshore patrol vessel|
|Displacement:||approx. 3,750 tons full load|
|Length:||108.4 m (355 ft 8 in)|
|Beam:||16 m (52 ft 6 in)|
|Draught:||4.55 m (14 ft 11 in)|
|Speed:||21.5 knots (39.8 km/h; 24.7 mph)|
|Range:||5,000 nautical miles (9,300 km; 5,800 mi) at 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph)|
|Boats & landing |
|Complement:||54 (+ additional space for 40)|
|Sensors and |
|Aircraft carried:||1 x NH90 helicopter|
|Aviation facilities:||fully equipped hangar and flight deck for one medium-sized helicopter|
HNLMS Holland is the first ship of the Holland-class offshore patrol vessels of the Royal Netherlands Navy. The ship was originally designed to fulfill patrol and intervention tasks against lightly armed opponents, such as pirates and smugglers. However, it also has very advanced electronic and radar surveillance capabilities which are used for military stabilization and security roles, short of outright war. Without sonar or long range weapons, it utilizes the surveillance capabilities of the Thales integrated mast, which integrates communication systems and two 4-faced phased arrays for air and surface search.
Holland was the first ship of the Holland-class offshore patrol vessels to enter service. The ship fulfilled its first task before it had actually entered service when on 15 March 2012 it returned a mirror that had been taken from Royal Charles after the Raid on the Medway.
In July 2018, the crew of HNLMS Holland ended a three-month drug patrol in the Dutch Caribbean with a visit to New York. While in the Caribbean Sea, Holland also performed coast guard duties. Holland's sister ship Friesland replaced the vessel in the Caribbean.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Information Dissemination: The Holland-class OPVs Will Need A Change". http://www.informationdissemination.net/2010/03/holland-class-opvs-will-need-change.html.
- "Oceangoing Patrol Vessel" (in Dutch). Navy Inside. Archived from the original on 2007-05-04. https://web.archive.org/web/20070504215420/http://www.navyinside.nl/opv.html. Retrieved 5 August 2008.
- "Hollandklasse Patrouilleschepen". Jaime Karreman. https://marineschepen.nl/schepen/holland.html.
- "Holland Class Ocean Going Patrol Vessel 3750". Damen Shipyards. https://products.damen.com/en/ranges/opv-holland-class/holland-class-ocean-going-patrol-vessel-3750.
- "War trophy temporarily back in England". https://www.government.nl/latest/news/2012/03/22/war-trophy-temporarily-back-in-england.
- "Marine vangt weer drugs in Caraïben". Schuttevaer. https://www.schuttevaer.nl/nieuws/zeevaart/nid19220-marine-vangt-weer-drugs-in-caraben.html?id=19220-marine-vangt-weer-drugs-in.
- "NSS brengt nieuwste helikopters en schepen samen". Defensie.nl. https://www.defensie.nl/actueel/nieuws/2014/03/22/nss-brengt-nieuwste-helikopters-en-schepen-samen.
- "Weekoverzicht Defensieoperaties 04-07-2018". Defensie.nl. https://www.defensie.nl/actueel/nieuws/2018/07/04/weekoverzicht-defensieoperaties.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|