|Kurt-Harald von Hirschfeld|
Von Hirschfeld as a Captain
|Born||July 11, 1912|
|Died||18 January 1945(aged 32)|
|Place of birth||Weimar|
|Place of death||Tarnów|
|Years of service||1935 - 1945|
|Commands held||78. Volksgrenadier-Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Harald von Hirschfeld (10 July 1912 – 18 January 1945) was a German general who commanded the 78.Volksgrenadier-Division during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. In September 1943, as a Colonel in the 1st Mountain Division, he played a major role in the defeat and subsequent massacre of the Italian Acqui Division in Cephallonia.
Awards and decorations
- Anschluss Medal (8 November 1938)
- Sudetenland Medal
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (1 November 1939)
- 1st Class (28 July 1941)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- Black (23 July 1941)
- Silver (23 September 1941)
- Gold (2 October 1941)
- Infantry Assault Badge in Silver (25 July 1941)
- Order of the Crown (Romania) (1 November 1941)
- Eastern Front Medal (1 August 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 228.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 64.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
Generalmajor Alois Weber
|Commander of 78. Volksgrenadier-Division
1 December 1944 – 18 January 1945
Generalmajor Wilhelm Nagel
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|