|Hugo Karl Gottlieb von Kathen|
General Hugo von Kathen
|Born||August 27, 1855|
|Died||April 2, 1932(aged 76)|
|Place of birth||Freienwalde, Prussia|
|Place of death||Wiesbaden, Weimar Germany|
|Battles/wars||World War I|
|Awards||Pour le Mérite with Oakleaves|
Kathen was born in Freienwalde, Farther Pomerania to the Prussian Major Karl von Kathen (1803–1876), a landowner from Langenhaken in Pomerania, and Agnes née Schumann (1825–1895). His family came originally from Stralsund and became Swedish nobility in 1692.
Kathen married Susanne von Dechend (1859–1929), daughter of Reichsbank president Hermann von Dechend (1814–1890), on 27 September 1884 in Berlin.
Kathen died in Wiesbaden, Hesse.
- 2 August - 18 December 1914: military governor of Mainz
- 19 December 1914 - 30 July 1918: commanding general of the XXIII Reserve Corps
- 31 July - 11 November 1918: commander-in-chief of the 8th army
- until February 1919: commander of the German troops in Lithuania and Estonia
- starting from February 1919: commander of the German troops in Latvia
Medals and decoration
- Pour le Mérite on 28 August 1916; with oak leaves on 27 August 1917
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Adelige Häuser B Band VII, Seite 180, Band 36 der Gesamtreihe, C. A. Starke Verlag, Limburg (Lahn) 1965, ISSN 0435-2408.
General der Kavallerie Georg von Kleist
|Commander, XXIII Reserve Corps
19 December 1914-31 July 1918
Generalleutnant Arthur von Gabain
Generaloberst Günther Graf von Kirchbach
|Commander, 8th Army
31 July 1918-21 January 1919
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|