|III Corps (Bundeswehr)|
|Active||6 April 1957 - 31 March 1994|
|Part of||Central Army Group|
|Commanders||GenLt Klaus ReinhardtBrigGen Klaus Frühhaber|
|Current commander||Last chief of staffLast chief of staff}|
The preparation of the staff of the corps took place from 16 March 1957 at Gneisenau-Kaserne, Koblenz; the corps was officially formed on 6 April 1957. Initially, the 2nd Panzergrenadier Division and 5th Panzer Division moved in 1957 from the II Corps to III Corps. The corps was integrated into defence planning from mid-1957, as part of NATO's Central Army Group, commanded by the commander of the U.S. Seventh Army. The area of operations was the FRG-DDR and German-Czechoslovak border in Hesse and Franconia. On 1 December 1958 the 7th Panzer Division was transferred from the III Corps to the I Corps. Among the first corps troops were Ordnance regiment 504 (formed May 16, 1957 in Diez, transferred January 1958 in Koblenz), and Corps Artillery Command 403 (based until 1 July 1957 at Munsterlager, from August 1957 in Koblenz). Under corps command were a rocket artillery battalion, a supply battalion, and a geophysical measurement train.
In 1994 the corps headquarters was disbanded and re-designated the headquarters of the German Army Forces Command.
Initially from 1959 the corps' troops under Heeresstruktur II consisted of :
- 2nd Panzergrenadier Division (Marburg)
- 5th Panzer Division (Koblenz)
- 7th Panzergrenadier (later Panzer) Division (Unna)
- Corps Troops
|Nr.||Name||Start of command||End of command|
|13||Generalleutnant Klaus Reinhardt||1 July 1993||31 March 1994|
|12||Generalleutnant Peter Heinrich Carstens||1 October 1991||30 June 1993|
|11||Generalmajor Anton Steer||1 October 1990||30 September 1991|
|10||Generalleutnant Helge Hansen||1 October 1987||30 September 1990|
|9||Generalleutnant Karl Erich Diedrichs||1 April 1984||30 September 1987|
|8||Generalleutnant Hans-Joachim Mack||1 April 1983||31 March 1984|
|7||Generalleutnant Wolfgang Altenburg||1 October 1980||31 March 1983|
|6||Generalleutnant Paul-Georg Kleffel||1 April 1978||30 September 1980|
|5||Generalleutnant Franz Pöschl||1 October 1972||31 March 1978|
|4||Generalleutnant Gerd Niepold||1 October 1968||30 September 1972|
|3||Generalleutnant Albert Schnez||1 April 1965||30 September 1968|
|2||Generalleutnant Heinrich Gaedcke||1 January 1961||31 March 1965|
|1||Generalleutnant Smilo Freiherr von Lüttwitz||1 June 1957||31 December 1960|
- ↑ Dragoner, p. 35
- O. W. Dragoner, Die Bundeswehr 1989, Vol. 2.1, available here
- Soldat im III. Korps. Bilddokumente eines Großverbandes des Heeres. Herausgeber III. Korps, Redaktion Peter Bolte. - Koblenz: Rhenania Fachverlag 1982.
- 175 Jahre Korpskommando Koblenz. Herausgegeben vom Korpskommando III. Korps, verantwortlich: Oberstleutnant Armin Meyer-Detring. - Koblenz .
- This article incorporates information from the equivalent article on this wikiNo language provided for the interwiki translation template!,
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|