Israeli violations of Lebanese sovereignty are breaches of Lebanese airspace, waters, and borders, that are illegal since they violate Lebanon's territory and United Nations Security Council Resolution 425 and 1701.
The most frequent breaches are overflights by Israeli war planes and drones; such violations have occurred since the inception of the Israeli–Lebanese conflict, and have happened continuously and almost daily since the 2006 Lebanon war, being the source of much conflict between Lebanon and Israel. Israeli warplanes sometimes stage mock attacks on Lebanese cities, and emit sonic booms that frighten civilians.
In 2007 the Lebanese government complained that Israeli planes had flown into Lebanese airspace 290 times within four months, and that Israeli troops had crossed the border 52 times.
In 2006 French Defense Minister Michele Alliot-Marie stated: "I remind that the violations of the airspace are extremely dangerous, they are dangerous first because they may be felt as hostile by forces of the coalition that could be brought to retaliate in cases of self defense and it would be a very serious incident." US officials on visit in Israel also demanded that Israel stop the overflights since they undermined the standing of Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora.
On land, the Blue Line (Lebanon) is often crossed, as well as incursions into the Shebaa Farms (which Israel considers Israeli territory as part of Golan Heights, which it captured from Syria in 1967, but which Lebanon claims is Lebanese territory). The 2010 Israel–Lebanon border clash was also performed on the basis of claims of such violations.
At sea, Israeli gunboats have shot into Lebanese territorial waters, and there have been Lebanese claims that Israel is breaching the law of the sea and might lay claim on Lebanese natural resources through the Tamar gas field.
Hezbollah uses such violations as justification for the legimitacy of their continued armed resistance against Israel.
- ↑ "Security Council Extends Unifil Mandate for Six Months, to 31 January 2002". Unis.unvienna.org. http://www.unis.unvienna.org/unis/pressrels/2001/sc7113.html. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ "UN Questions Usefulness of Peacekeepers - Security Council - Global Policy Forum". Globalpolicy.org. 2002-07-30. http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/lebanon/2002/0730quest.htm. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ ":Middle East Online ميدل ايست أونلاين:". Middle-east-online.com. 2007-11-30. http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=23318. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ Associated, The (2008-04-02). "Lebanese army: 12 IAF jets fly over Beirut, Lebanese areas - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News". Haaretz.com. http://www.haaretz.com/news/lebanese-army-12-iaf-jets-fly-over-beirut-lebanese-areas-1.244790. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ "Middle East | Israeli planes create sonic boom confusion over Lebanon". BBC News. 1998-12-09. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/231406.stm. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ Pinkas, Alon (2007-01-22). "Report: IAF jets emit sonic booms over s. Lebanon". Jpost.com. http://www.jpost.com/Israel/Article.aspx?id=48902. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ Ravid, Barak. "Lebanon to UN: Israel breached truce deal hundreds of times - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News". Haaretz.com. http://www.haaretz.com/news/lebanon-to-un-israel-breached-truce-deal-hundreds-of-times-1.232334. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ "France calls IAF overflights in Lebanon 'extremely dangerous' - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News". Haaretz.com. 2008-04-02. http://www.haaretz.com/news/france-calls-iaf-overflights-in-lebanon-extremely-dangerous-1.202901. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ Benn, Aluf (2008-04-02). "U.S. officials demand IAF cease overflights in Lebanese airspace - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News". Haaretz.com. http://www.haaretz.com/news/u-s-officials-demand-iaf-cease-overflights-in-lebanese-airspace-1.204267. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=33456&Cr=lebanon&Cr1
- ↑ http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=12187&Cr=lebanon&Cr1
- ↑ "Israeli overflights ‘dangerous situation’ - Lebanon". Jordan Times. 2010-02-11. http://www.jordantimes.com/?news=23922. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ "Israel's incessant overflights heighten Lebanon tensions". Lebanonwire.com. 2010-02-26. http://www.lebanonwire.com/1002MLN/10022609DS.asp. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ Teeple, Jim (2006-10-23). "Israel Continues Overflights of Lebanon". Globalsecurity.org. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2006/10/mil-061023-voa03.htm. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ "Petraeus Visit Highlights Growing Strategic Prominence of Lebanon - August 7, 2008 - The New York Sun". Nysun.com. 2008-08-07. http://www.nysun.com/foreign/petraeus-visit-highlights-growing-strategic/83386/. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ "Spotlight - Israel offered to cease overflights for US intel". The Daily Star. 2010-12-06. http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=1&categ_id=31&article_id=122238#axzz1F560KhYu. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Local-News/2011/Jun-15/Israeli-army-vehicles-cross-Blue-Line-into-Lebanon.ashx#axzz1hQGL2uL6
- ↑ "Politics - Israel again violates Lebanese air space, enters Shebaa Farms". The Daily Star. 2010-12-29. http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=1&categ_id=2&article_id=123034#axzz1F560KhYu. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ "Israel-Lebanon border clash kills five people". BBC News. 2010-08-03. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-10851692.
- ↑ "Lebanon news - NOW Lebanon -Israeli gunboat fired shots toward Lebanese waters". NOW Lebanon. 2010-08-07. http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArchiveDetails.aspx?ID=192332. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ Bassam, Laila (2011-01-10). "Lebanon says Israel gas search violates sea border". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/10/us-israel-lebanon-gas-interview-idUKTRE7094ED20110110. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ "Oil, gas discoveries, a potential Israel-Lebanon conflict | Ya Libnan | World News Live from Lebanon". LB: Ya Libnan. 2010-11-02. http://www.yalibnan.com/2010/11/02/oil-and-gas-discoveries-a-potential-israel-lebanon-flash-point/. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ "Report: Israel stealing Lebanese gas - Israel News, Ynetnews". Ynetnews.com. 1995-06-20. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3902180,00.html. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- ↑ "Israel and Hizballah Ready to Rumble?". Time. 2008-08-01. http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1828431,00.html.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|