|Jacob E. Swap|
|Born||August 12, 1846|
|Died||January 22, 1925(aged 78)|
|Place of birth||New York|
|Place of death||Lakeport, California|
|Buried at||Evergreen Cemetery, Oakland, California|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Unit||Company H, 83d Pennsylvania Infantry|
|Battles/wars||Battle of the Wilderness|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Private Jacob E. Swap (August 12, 1846 – January 22, 1925) was a soldier from New York who fought in the American Civil War. Swap received the United States' highest medal for bravery during combat, the Medal of Honor, for his action during the Battle of the Wilderness in Wilderness, Virginia on 5 May 1864. The medal was presented to him on 19 November 1897.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Swap was born August 12, 1846 New York and enlisted into Company H, 83d Pennsylvania Infantry from Springs, Pennsylvania. While fighting in the Battle of the Wilderness on 5 May 1864 Private Swap voluntarily joined his regiment in a charge and fought with it until severely wounded. For his actions during this battle, he received the United States militiaries highest, and at that time only, medal for bravery in combat, the Medal of Honor on 19 November 1897.
Medal of Honor citation[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- List of American Civil War Medal of Honor recipients: Q–S
- List of Medal of Honor recipients for the Battle of the Wilderness
References[edit | edit source]
- "Medal of Honor recipients". American Civil War (S-Z). United States Army Center of Military History. 25 February 2016. http://www.history.army.mil/moh/civilwar_sz.html#SWAP. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
- "Jacob E. Swap". Military Times. http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=1440. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
- "Jacob E. Swap". Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11229488. Retrieved 23 May 2017.