|Jamal Uddin Ahmed|
|Born||26 March 1943|
|Place of birth||Mymensingh|
Pakistan Air Force|
Bangladesh Air Force
|Years of service||1964-2001|
|Unit||No. 7 Squadron (Pakistan Air Force)|
Air Marshal (retd.) Jamal Uddin Ahmed is a former Chief of Air Staff, the highest appointment in the Bangladesh Air Force (BAF), and former Chairman of the Board of Directors of Biman Bangladesh. He was promoted to Air Marshal by then Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on the day of his retirement from the BAF in 2001. Three years later, the Khaleda Zia government voided his promotion, declaring it unlawful because there was no such post in the BAF's organizational chart. He appealed the decision to the High Court, which in 2008 restored his rank of air marshal, ruling that he had been stripped of it illegally.
He started his career as a Martin B-57 Canberra attack pilot in the Pakistan Air Force in 1964. During the Liberation War in 1971, he was a Flight Lieutenant and part of a joint NATO-CENTO Air Intelligence Training Program for NATO Air Force officers in the United States. He returned to Bangladesh in 1972 as a Squadron Leader and served as a flight instructor at the Bangladesh Air Force Academy between 1976 and 1980. He was the Chief of Air Staff from 4 June 1995 to 3 June 2001.
- ↑ "Crisis-ridden Biman to offload its boss". 29 March 2016. http://www.thedailystar.net/frontpage/crisis-ridden-biman-offload-its-boss-1201135. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- ↑ "Ex-air force chief Jamal stripped of air marshal rank". 19 October 2004. http://archive.thedailystar.net/2004/10/19/d4101901066.htm.
- ↑ "Stripping Jamal Uddin of title was illegal: HC". 17 February 2008. http://bdnews24.com/politics/2008/02/17/stripping-jamal-uddin-of-title-was-illegal-hc.
- ↑ Selections from Regional Press. Institute of Regional Studies. pp. 128. https://books.google.com/books?id=5sUuAQAAIAAJ&q=Air+Marshal+Jamal+Uddin+Ahmed,+ndc,+bems,+psc&dq=Air+Marshal+Jamal+Uddin+Ahmed,+ndc,+bems,+psc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8vc-Eq8PQAhWE7SYKHZtxDGkQ6AEIHTAA. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- ↑ The Army Quarterly and Defence Journal. West of England Press. pp. 210. https://books.google.com/books?id=JJ4rAAAAYAAJ&q=Air+Marshal+Jamal+Uddin+Ahmed,+ndc,+bems,+psc&dq=Air+Marshal+Jamal+Uddin+Ahmed,+ndc,+bems,+psc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8vc-Eq8PQAhWE7SYKHZtxDGkQ6AEIITAB. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- ↑ "Former COAS2 – Bangladesh Air Force". http://www.baf.mil.bd/?page_id=372. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
Air Vice Marshal Altaf Hossain Chowdhury
|Chief of Air Staff|
1995 – 2001
| Succeeded by|
Air Vice Marshal Mohammad Rafiqul Islam
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|