17 July 1885|
17 June 1915 (aged 29)|
James Hendren (17 July 1885 – 17 June 1915) was a Scottish professional football centre forward who made over 120 appearances in the Scottish League for Hibernian. He also played for Nithsdale Wanderers, Kilmarnock and Cowdenbeath.
Personal life[edit | edit source]
Hendren worked as a miner in Ayrshire and later emigrated to the USA. He returned to Scotland to resume his football career and he enlisted as a driver in the Army Transport Corps after the outbreak of the First World War in 1914. He was allowed to delay his enlistment as his wife had just given birth to their second child. Just over a month after his final appearance for Hibernian, Hendren died of acute pneumonia at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh on 17 June 1915. His great-nephew is former Hibernian and Celtic footballer Pat Stanton.
Honours[edit | edit source]
Career statistics[edit | edit source]
|Kilmarnock||1904–05||Scottish First Division||4||0||0||0||4||0|
|Cowdenbeath||1910–11||Scottish Second Division||15||5||5||0||20||5|
|Hibernian||1911–12||Scottish First Division||23||3||0||0||23||3|
References[edit | edit source]
- "They Died in the Conflict during Season 1914–1915". http://www.scotlandswar.co.uk/pdf_Season_1914-1915_(Fell).pdf.
- "Hibernian Player James Hendren Details". http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=5704.
- "Cowdenbeath FC – Blue Brazil Online | Cowden | The Beath". http://www.cowdenbeathfc.com/index.php?act=viewPlayer&productId=399.
- "Kilmarnock Player ? Hendron Details". http://www.fitbastats.com/kilmarnock/player.php?playerid=6995.
- Litster, John. Record of Pre-War Scottish League Players. Norwich: PM Publications.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|