Jerome Gerard Ambro (December 25, 1897 – March 17, 1979) was an American lawyer and politician from New York.
During World War I, Ambro served in the United States Army. He served seventeen months in France, was wounded in Verdun and received the Verdun citation for bravery. He attended the University of Toronto, graduated from St. Lawrence University, and received an LL.B. from Brooklyn Law School.
In 1924, Ambro was elected to the New York State Assembly as a Democrat, representing the Kings County 19th District. He served in the Assembly in 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931, 1932, and 1933. His district was in Bushwick. In the 1933 New York City mayoral election, he unsuccessfully ran in the primary as an anti-Tammany Democrat. He came in third and lost the nomination to incumbent John P. O'Brien, who in turn lost the election to Fiorello La Guardia. He served as an undersheriff of Brooklyn and an assistant New York Attorney General. He was the Democratic district leader for many years and chairman of the Kings County Federation of Italian‐American Democratic Clubs.
Ambro died while visiting his son Jerome in Huntington Station on March 17, 1979.
- "Jerome Gerard Ambro in the U.S., World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947". https://www.ancestry.com/cs/offers/join?sub=281474977005568&dbid=2238&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ancestry.com%2Fdiscoveryui-content%2Fview%2F193570880%3A2238&gsfn=&gsln=&h=193570880.
- "Jerry Ambro: United States Census, 1910". https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MP1S-GLC.
- Malcolm, James, ed (1925). The New York Red Book. Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company. pp. 86. https://www.google.com/books/edition/_/Vc8GAQAAIAAJ?gbpv=1.
- Malcolm, James, ed (1926). The New York Red Book. Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company. pp. 87. https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/493504-new-york-red-book-an-illustrated-legislative-manual-containing-the-portraits-and-biographies-of-the-u-s-senators-governor-state-officers-and-members-of-the-legislature-also-with-the-portraits-of-judges-and-court-reporters-1926?viewer=1&offset=0#page=163&viewer=picture&o=&n=0&q=.
- Malcolm, James, ed (1927). The New York Red Book. Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company. pp. 61. https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/469882-new-york-red-book-an-illustrated-legislative-manual-containing-the-portraits-and-biographies-of-the-u-s-senators-governor-state-officers-and-members-of-the-legislature-also-with-the-portraits-of-judges-and-court-reporters-1927?viewer=1&offset=0#page=81&viewer=picture&o=&n=0&q=.
- Malcolm, James, ed (1928). The New York Red Book. Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company. pp. 61. https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/440162-new-york-red-book-an-illustrated-legislative-manual-containing-the-portraits-and-biographies-of-the-u-s-senators-governor-state-officers-and-members-of-the-legislature-also-with-the-portraits-of-judges-and-court-reporters-v-37-1928?viewer=1&offset=0#page=81&viewer=picture&o=&n=0&q=.
- "Index to Politicians: Alstott to Amerson". https://politicalgraveyard.com/bio/alt-amersoon.html#512.60.32.
- Malcolm, James, ed (1931). The New York Red Book. Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company. pp. 73. https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/578300-new-york-red-book-an-illustrated-legislative-manual-containing-the-portraits-and-biographies-of-the-u-s-senators-governor-state-officers-and-members-of-the-legislature-also-with-the-portraits-of-judges-and-court-reporters-v-40-1931?viewer=1&offset=0#page=95&viewer=picture&o=&n=0&q=.
- Malcolm, James, ed (1932). The New York Red Book. Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company. pp. 71. https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/560253-new-york-red-book-an-illustrated-legislative-manual-containing-the-portraits-and-biographies-of-the-u-s-senators-governor-state-officers-and-members-of-the-legislature-also-with-the-portraits-of-judges-and-court-reporters-1932?viewer=1&offset=0#page=94&viewer=picture&o=&n=0&q=.
- Malcolm, James, ed (1933). The New York Red Book. Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company. pp. 75. https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/611820-new-york-red-book-an-illustrated-legislative-manual-containing-the-portraits-and-biographies-of-the-u-s-senators-governor-state-officers-and-members-of-the-legislature-also-with-the-portraits-of-judges-and-court-reporters-the-new-consitu?viewer=1&offset=0#page=101&viewer=picture&o=&n=0&q=.
- "Jerome G. Ambro, 81, 9‐Term Assemblyman". The New York Times. New York, N.Y.. 19 March 1979. p. D9. https://www.nytimes.com/1979/03/19/archives/jerome-g-ambro-81-9term-assemblyman.html.
Anthony L. Palma
|New York State Assembly
Kings County, 19th District
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|