U.S. Navy poster featuring Seaman Joachim Pease
|Place of birth||Newfoundland, Canada|
United States of America|
United States Navy|
|Years of service||1862 - 1865|
American Civil War|
*Sinking of CSS Alabama
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Biography[edit | edit source]
Although Joachim Pease has been referred to as a native of Long Island, New York, recently unearthed records in the National Archives show that when he enlisted in the United States Navy as an Ordinary Seaman on January 12, 1862 for a three-year hitch, he listed his birthplace as Fogo Island, wich is part of Newfoundland. He was described as twenty years old, five feet, six and a half inches tall, with black hair and eyes and a "negro" complexion. Joachim Pease enlisted in the Navy from New Bedford, Massachusetts, not New York City, as commonly reported, and served onboard USS Kearsarge during the Civil War. On June 19, 1864, off the coast of Cherbourg, France, Kearsarge battled the Confederate sloop-of-war CSS Alabama. For his conduct during this engagement, Pease was awarded the Medal of Honor.
Medal of Honor citation[edit | edit source]
Rank and Organization:
- Seaman, U.S. Navy. Born: Long Island, N.Y. Accredited To: New York. G.O. No.: 45, December 31, 1864.
Served as seaman on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge when she destroyed the Alabama off Cherbourg, France, 19 June 1864. Acting as loader on the No. 2 gun during this bitter engagement, Pease exhibited marked coolness and good conduct and was highly recommended by the divisional officer for gallantry under fire.
See also[edit | edit source]
- List of American Civil War Medal of Honor recipients: M–P
- List of African American Medal of Honor recipients
Notes[edit | edit source]
- "Enlistments in New Bedford, Mass. in 1861/Return of the United States Naval Rendezvous, New Bedford, Mass., for the week ending January 18th, 1862" ,v. 18, p. 40; Records Group M1953, "Weekly Returns of Enlistments at Naval Rendezvous (Enlistment Rendezvous)", National Archives, Washington, D.C., as found online at https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XLBF-BMJ Retrieved 25 January 2012
- "PEASE, JOACHIM, Civil War Medal of Honor recipient". American Civil War website. 2007-11-08. http://americancivilwar.com/medal_of_honor7.html. Retrieved 2007-11-08.
References[edit | edit source]
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Naval History & Heritage Command.
- "US People - Pease, Joachim, Seaman, USN". Online Library. Naval History & Heritage Command. 2006-04-24. http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/pers-us/uspers-p/j-pease.htm. Retrieved 2007-01-02.
- "Civil War Medal of Honor recipients (M-Z)". Medal of Honor citations. United States Army Center of Military History. August 3, 2009. http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/civwarmz.html. Retrieved July 1, 2010.
- "Joachim Pease". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/12791169. Retrieved 2007-11-08.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|