|Joachim von Amsberg|
|Born||December 18, 1903|
|Died||27 May 1981(aged 77)|
|Place of birth||Posen|
|Place of death||Hamburg|
Weimar Republic (to 1933)|
|Years of service||1924–1945|
|Commands held||Grenadier-Regiment 502|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Joachim von Amsberg (18 December 1903 – 27 May 1981) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Joachim von Amsberg was captured in the Courland Pocket in May 1945 by Soviet forces and was held until 1955.
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (17 September 1939)
- 1st Class (25 June 1940)
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Eastern Front Medal
- War Merit Cross with Swords
- 2nd class
- 1st Class
- German Cross in Silver (13 April 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 9 May 1945 as Oberst and commander of Grenadier-Regiment 502[Note 1]
- Ärmelband Kurland
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The nomination by the troop was rejected on 9 May 1945 by the commanding officer of the Außenstelle of the Heerespersonalamt (HPA/A—Branch of the Army Staff Office)—Oberst Goecke—because the intermittent commanding officers of Joachim von Amsberg had not approved the nomination. The Order Commission of the Association of Knight's Cross Recipients (AKCR) processed the case in 1981 and decided: "Knight's Cross yes, 6 May 1945". The presentation date was later changed again by Fellgiebel to 9 May 1945. Von Amsberg was a member of the AKCR.
References[edit | edit source]
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 99.
- Scherzer, p.117.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.