|Born||August 24, 1882|
|Died||21 October 1951(aged 69)|
|Place of birth||Hütten|
|Place of death||Stuttgart|
German Empire (to 1918)|
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1904–1945|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
|Relations||Kurt Pflugbeil (brother)|
Johann Pflugbeil (24 August 1882 – 21 October 1951) was a highly decorated Generalleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
On June 27, 1941, the 221 Security division held the city of Bialystok (Poland). That day, the 309 Police battalion started a pogrom on the Jewish community : Jews were arrested, beaten, beards were cut, people were shot... The Jewish community chiefs went to see general Pflugbeil, and asked him to stop that pogrom. They were in his office, on their knees to implore him. A policeman of the 309th Police Battalion urinated on them; the general offered his back, to see elsewhere. After that "meeting", the pogrom became slaughter and massacre : the Jews on the market place were shoot in front on a wall, until the night; the synagogue, where 700 Jews were piled up, was set on fire with petrol and grenades. The Jews who tried to escape where shot. On June 28, general Pflugbeil asked Major Weis (309 Police battalion) the cause of the fire. Weis made a false report on the causes.
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Wound Badge (1914)
- in Black
- in Silver
- Cross of Honor
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Eastern Front Medal
- German Cross in Gold (11 April 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 12 August 1944 as Generalleutnant and Kommandant von Milau
- Ärmelband Kurland
References[edit | edit source]
- Browning (Christopher R.), Des hommes ordinaires : le 101e bataillon de réserve de la police allemande et la solution finale en Pologne, pp.25-26
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 275.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
[edit | edit source]
|Commander of 221. Infanterie-Division
26 August 1939 - 15 March 1941
Renamed 221. Sicherungs-Division
Previously 221. Infanterie-Division
|Commander of 221. Sicherungs-Division
15 March 1941 - 5 July 1942
Generalleutnant Hubert Lendle
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|