|John E. Hyten|
General John E. Hyten, USAF
Commander, Air Force Space Command
|Place of birth||Huntsville, Alabama|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1981–present|
6th Space Operations Squadron|
595th Space Group
50th Space Wing
Air Force Distinguished Service Medal|
Legion of Merit (2)
Defense Meritorious Service Medal (3)
Meritorious Service Medal (5)
General John E. Hyten is a United States Air Force general. He currently serves as the Commander, Air Force Space Command. Hyten assumed his current position on 15 Aug 2014. On 9 April 2014, Hyten was confirmed by the Senate for promotion to the rank of General and appointment as Commander, Air Force Space Command. On 15 March 2013, it was announced that Hyten had been nominated to be Commander, Fourteenth Air Force and Joint Functional Component Command for Space, U.S. Strategic Command. This would have had him swapping jobs with the incumbent Lieutenant General Susan J. Helms. However, Helms' nomination was put on hold by Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill resulting in the withdrawal of the nomination and leading to the retirement of Helms.
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
Hyten is entitled to the following awards and decorations:
|Command Communications and Information Badge|
|Command Space Badge|
|Joint Chiefs of Staff Badge|
|Headquarters Air Force Badge|
|Air Force Distinguished Service Medal|
|Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster|
|Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters|
|Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters|
|Air Force Commendation Medal|
|Army Commendation Medal|
|Air Force Achievement Medal|
|Joint Service Achievement Medal|
Dates of rank[edit | edit source]
|General||15 August 2014|
|Lieutenant General||18 May 2012|
|Major General||10 November 2010|
|Brigadier General||1 October 2007|
|Colonel||1 June 2002|
|Lieutenant Colonel||1 January 1997|
|Major||1 May 1993|
|Captain||23 August 1985|
|First Lieutenant||23 August 1983|
|Second Lieutenant||23 August 1981|
References[edit | edit source]
- "General John E. Hyten". United States Air Force. http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/Display/tabid/225/Article/108115. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "Huntsville native receives third star on Air Force uniform and post with Space Command | al.com". blog.al.com. http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/06/huntsville_native_receives_thi.html. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "PN1508 - Nomination of Lt. Gen. John E. Hyten for Air Force, 113th Congress (2013-2014) | Congress.gov | Library of Congress". beta.congress.gov. https://beta.congress.gov/nomination/113th-congress/1508. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "General assignments, nominations announced | Air Force Times | airforcetimes.com". airforcetimes.com. http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20130315/CAREERS03/303150017/General-assignments-nominations-announced. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Obama Withdraws Helms Nomination | SpaceNews.com". spacenews.com. http://www.spacenews.com/article/military-space/38070obama-withdraws-helms-nomination. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Helms to retire after stalled job change". lompocrecord.com. http://www.lompocrecord.com/news/local/military/vandenberg/helms-to-retire-after-stalled-job-change/article_565a2438-49bf-11e3-a80f-0019bb2963f4.html. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|