|John P. Beech|
|Born||May 1, 1844|
|Died||November 27, 1926(aged 82)|
|Place of birth||Stratfordshire, England|
|Buried at||Mercer Cemetery in Trenton|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Unit||Company B, 4th New Jersey Infantry|
|Battles/wars||Battle of Spotsylvania Court House|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Sergeant John P. Beech (May 1, 1844 to November 27, 1926) was an English soldier who fought in the American Civil War. Beech was awarded the United States' highest award for bravery during combat, the Medal of Honor, for his action during the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House in Virginia on May 12, 1864. He was honored with the award on June 5, 1894.
Beech was born in Stratfordshire, England and enlisted into the army at Trenton, New Jersey in 1861. On May 12, 1864, during the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, most of the members of an artillery battery, deployed in front of Beech's company, were killed by enemy fire. Beech voluntarily assisted the remaining artillery men, despite being under heavy fire. It is for this act of bravery that he was awarded the Medal of Honor in 1894.
Medal of Honor citationEdit
Voluntarily assisted in working the guns of a battery, all the members of which had been killed or wounded.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "New Jersey Civil War Medal of Honor Recipients". http://www.njcivilwar150.org/njmoh.htm. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 "Medal of honor recipients: A-L". http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/civwaral.html. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "Military Times Hall of Valor". http://projects.militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=1981. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- ↑ "Alphabetical Index of Recipients of Major Military Awards". http://www.homeofheroes.com/verify/recipients_be.html. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- ↑ "New Jersey Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines Awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for Civil War Service". http://www.philkearnycwrt.org/moh.html. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|