|John Tribe (Medal of Honor)|
|Born||December 4, 1836|
|Died||December 4, 1917(aged 81)|
|Place of birth||Tioga County, New York|
|Buried at||Halsey Valley Cemetery, New York|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Unit||Company G, 5th New York Cavalry|
|Battles/wars||American Civil War|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Tribe was born in Tioga County, New York in 1836 and entered service in Oswego. He was awarded the Medal of Honor, for extraordinary heroism shown on August 25, 1862, while serving as a Private with Company G, 5th New York Cavalry, at Waterloo Bridge in Virginia. Tribe won his medal for participating in the destruction of the bridge. His Medal of Honor was issued on June 11, 1895.
Tribe died on his 81st birthday, on December 4, 1917, and was buried at Halsey Valley Cemetery in Tioga County, New York.
Medal of Honor citation[edit | edit source]
The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Private John Tribe, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism on 25 August 1862, while serving with Company G, 5th New York Cavalry, in action at Waterloo Bridge, Virginia. Private Tribe voluntarily assisted in the burning and destruction of the bridge under heavy fire of the enemy.
[edit | edit source]
- "John Tribe (Medal of Honor)". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8234239. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Medal of Honor Recipients". http://www.history.army.mil/moh/civilwar_sz.html#TRIBE. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "TRIBE, JOHN". http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/1397/tribe-john.php. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "Valor awards for John Tribe". http://projects.militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=1817. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the United States Army Center of Military History.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|