|Born||June 10, 1841|
|Died||December 21, 1920(aged 79)|
|Place of birth||Frankford, Pennsylvania|
|Place of death||Washington, D.C.|
|Place of burial||Arlington National Cemetery|
United States of America|
|Years of service||1862-65, 1899-1905|
|Unit||15th Pennsylvania Cavalry|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
|Other work||War Department clerk|
John Tweedale (June 10, 1841 – December 21, 1920) was a Union Army soldier during the American Civil War and a recipient of America's highest military decoration the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Stones River.
Post war[edit | edit source]
Tweedale received a LL.B. degree from Columbian University (now George Washington University) of Washington, D. C. in 1868. After receiving his commission in the Army, he became Chief Clerk of the War Department. and confirmed by Congress on April 27, 1904, as Assistant Adjutant General with the rank of lieutenant colonel. He retired June 10, 1905 with the rank of Colonel.
Medal of Honor citation[edit | edit source]
Rank and Organization:Private, Company B, 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry.
Place and date: At Stones River, Tenn., December 31, 1862 to January 1, 1863.
Entered service at: Philadelphia, Pa.
Born: June 10, 1841, Frankford, Pa.
Date of issue: November 18, 1887.
See also[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- United States War Department (1906). Official Army Register for 1907. Washington, D. C.: The Military Secretary's Office. pp. 443. http://books.google.com/books?id=evwsAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&lr=#PPA443,M1. Retrieved 2008-11-19.
- "Army and Navy news" (PDF). nytimes.com. 1885-08-18. http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=950CE2DD153FE533A2575BC1A96E9C94649FD7CF. Retrieved 2007-11-29.
- "Confirmed by the Senate" (PDF). nytimes.com. 1904-04-27. http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9D06E4DE1230E132A2575BC2A9629C946597D6CF. Retrieved 2007-11-29.
- "John Tweedale at Arlington". arlingtoncemetery.net. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/tweedale.htm. Retrieved 2007-11-29.
- "John Tweedale". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/7526985. Retrieved 2007-11-29.
- ""Civil War Medal of Honor citations" (S-Z): Tweedale, John". AmericanCivilWar.com. http://americancivilwar.com/medal_of_honor8.html. Retrieved 2007-11-29.
- "Medal of Honor website (M-Z): Tweedale, John". United States Army Center of Military History. http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/civwarmz.html. Retrieved 2007-11-29.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|